1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Anyone hearing anything in Texas?

I heard Corpus Christi had more layoffs and will be some sort of design hub for all of Texas starting in mid-May.

Not sure how that will work.

Anyone know anything else?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Scripps owns San Angelo, Abilene, Wichita Falls and Corpus Christi.

Apparently, copy desk people in San Angelo, Abilene and Wichita Falls have to apply for positions in Corpus - and I guess pony up to move across the state.

I can understand merging operations when papers are near each other, but Wichita Falls to Corpus Christi is like a 10-hour drive.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No comment.

4. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Good luck with that. We had a design desk that was just 60 miles from us and it was a fiasco most of the time. I can't even imagine doing this for papers that far apart and in totally different regions as Wichita Falls and San Angelo. We finally abandoned that idea after about 5 years, thank goodness.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Holy balls! As someone who's worked in Abilene and Corpus (and actually really enjoyed my time there), I can tell you this: One of those things is NOT like the others.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

For those who have worked under a similar setup, what would this mean for deadlines? If one location is paginating for that many different papers, either they would have to have the same number of people the do now or some places would have to have their pages ready much earlier. Knowing the significance of football Friday nights in these cities, it just sounds like a massive disaster waiting to happen.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Gee Mile, I wonder why. ::)

Kind of makes me want to take a serious look at the proxy paperwork my wife just received from Scripps for shareholders as they get ready to vote on their new board of directors. ;D

8. mb

mb Active Member

And what's the deal? Original post talks about "design hub," but second one mentions copy desk people only. Does that include designers?

Or have they combined editing and design in all four spots in the past 5 years?

9. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The papers likely would share a lot of pages, including world/nation in the A section. They would have common ads or the same holes to swap in local ads.

10. jps

jps Active Member

pretty sure there is already sharing going on with the nation/world page, and believe it is corpus making that one up. thought I'd heard something about the same sort of thing happening for sports with the mlb page(s), but I may be wrong there.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's my bad.

It's a design hub, more than a copy editing hub.

12. mb

mb Active Member

Wow. That'll be even harder to pull off.

Draft saved Draft deleted