1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripps News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 16, 2007.

1. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

I'm no Nostradamus, but this reads to me like a company separating the division they want to keep -- TV and interactive -- from a division they want to put on the block -- newspapers. Too bad. As a graduate of the Scripps School of Journalism, I've always had a lot of respect for Scripps papers. The next question is, Who gobbles them up? Will the properties be bought piecemail or will a company like McClatchy, Gannett or New York Times buy them as a whole?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There are some really good papers among the Scripps group, Naples and the Rocky being at the top of the heap.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm by no means a media expert, but I did work full-time for one scripps paper and interned at another. While working full-time, we got our regular scripps magazine delivered to us at work.
    Each issue was essentially a slurp job for all the TV stuff scripps was involved in. IIRC, one of the issues had nothing re: any of it's papers except a section on the back on people moving in and out of the company (and that part had to do with the Rocky Mountain News).

It was easy to see where things were going.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

TV stations and newspapers are under one umbrella. Cable TV and Internet is under another.

As for who gobbles it up ... who has any money to do it to invest in it?

Draft saved Draft deleted