1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the general baseball thread, this deserves its own for history...Pirates!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 15, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are not one or two years away, but Cole and Bell are beasts (especially Bell). They did great in the last draft.

I am looking at the 2014 Pirates to resemble the 2011 Royals.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The catcher from Boston College (Miami area native) is projected to be an impact bat.

Overbay, Iwamura and Diaz were placeholders. They were playing because kids aren't ready.

As Jerry Glanville used to say, if you've got a mouth full of bad teeth, you can only go in and get a few fixed at a time. This team didn't expect to contend in 2011.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post, but from a guy who used to take in a lot of Salem Buccaneers games growing up, these names take me back. (At least Cummings and Pennyfeather - not sure if Nunez was ever a Buc.)

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And we were just one step up from Salem with Crash Brown and Lance Belen and Jim Neidlinger.

The stands on the island were temporary then, and I could slip in underneath them, sit on a milkbox and have a grass-level view right behind the plate.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I blame the Pirates' collapse for this NLCS.

Draft saved Draft deleted