1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw Billy Packer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

what kind of monopoly is Billy Packer running...damn let someone else get a shot...

I also think he gives players credit.

Last night he was talking about Noah and how he reacted to a play, and I was like, there is no way Noah ran all that bullshit through his mind in that split second. Give me a break they aren't superheroes.

2. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

When doesn't Noah react to a play? The guy snarls and beats his chest after he pours a bowl of cereal.

3. I loved during the title game when Packer went off about how he thinks players shouldn't have to foul out of games. He suggested that the opposing team should just get an extra free throw when a player with more than five fouls commits a foul. The funny thing about that is that the ABA -- a totally garbage league -- actually has that rule. The ABA recently fired John Salley as its commissioner ... maybe Packer could run the show.

Or how about when Tyler Hansbrough caught that elbow in the face from Gerald Henderson? Packer kept going on and on about how it wasn't intentional and how the refs made a mistake in calling it flagrant. Meanwhile, the replay is showing the mugging over and over again.

Packer, Vern Lunquist and the other old-ass announcers are like Brett Favre. They've stayed in the game way, way too long. I can't even count how many times I heard Lunquist call guys by the wrong name during the NCAA Tournament. I know these guys were good once, but isn't there an entire generation of younger announcers who could take over the mic?

4. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's not age. Lundquist's been doing that as long as he's been on the air.

6. But Billy Packer is not a teen-age girl.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

No thanks. I don't find him the least bit attractive. Plus I don't play for that team.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Great line, Sweetness.

9. donaugust

donaugust Member

That's no way to talk about Rudy Martzke.

10. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

*Snarls*
    *Beats chest*

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

I've always liked Packer, but this year he got under my skin. He constantly seemed to be reminding viewers that things were happening just as he predicted. And as an above poster pointed out he really went overboard telling us what was going through people's minds.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I've interviewed people and thought "He isn't as big a jerk as everyone makes him out to be." I interviewed Packer years ago and my first thought was, "Gosh, he's an even bigger jerk than what everyone says." Maybe he's changed since then, but I doubt it. Everytime I've been around him (isn't much) or seen him interviewed (at least once a year) it always seems like Billy's upset about not getting more credit for whatever reason. I remember back during Vitale's prime (which is over) I thought Packer seemed jealous that Dickie V got so much attention.

12. silentbob

silentbob Member

No doubt. Dude would beat his chest after he deflected a pass or force up a bad shot and get fouled. One of the most overrated players in college basketball, I think. He'll get exposed in the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted