1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screaming baby at ski resort -- who's right and who's wrong?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by X-Hack, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Two douches here.

The biggest one: the guy who had a keyboard jerkoff with his response. We get your point. Try paring it down to 250 words. Hid entire lack of self-editing and to-the-point simplicity was worthy of some folks at sj.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

First-world plus problems.

Kick 'em all in the dicks (except the baby)

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can understand a hotel, an airplane, a restaurant. Screaming babies happen.

Yet, at a ski resort, I can understand being upset. A ski resort should represent a time to get away from all of the stress of everyday life and work. Of course, the prick could have had more tact but I get his point.

I'll be judgmental now. Who would take a baby/toddler on a ski trip? When our kids were that age, the last place I would consider taking them would be a remote place in the mountains where they can't, realistically, participate.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I didn't read all of the responses in the comments section, but the one that summed it up best for me was the one from the mother of four who said, pretty persuasively, that ski resorts are indeed places for kids, even infants, and the ski resort industry is going out of its way to make it so.

And even if the child doesn't actually ski, the family can enjoy themselves playing in the snow on the bunny slopes.

Point being, kids will not learn how to behave in certain situations if they aren't exposed to those situations, even at an age when they may not remember it. When our boys were about 5 and 3, we decided to take them with us to one of the nicest steakhouses in town. We dressed them up in their Sunday best and got a table near the door. As we were having dessert, an older man came up to our table and told us that he was worried when he saw us come in with such small children, but that we had the two best-behaved kids he'd ever seen. One of my proudest moments as a parent.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This was not the same mother of 4, but I loved her comment. Most of you won't.

P.S. That comment resonated with me even after spending the last seven hours cooing to the most beautiful 3-month-old in the world.

6. exmediahack

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

If you're kids are teens now, make sure to remind them of this night. :)

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Oldest turns 30 in August.

8. exmediahack

This is also my sentiment.

It's not so much with bringing the toddler/baby on a ski trip but that, as a society, we have what I often call a real "lack of awareness of others". I see it every day and it drives me crazy.

The person in front of me at the grocery store with 25 items in the express lane.

The person talking loud on a cell phone in a library or a lobby.

People who take their sweet time deciding on what flavored cigarillo to buy at the gas station and can't be bothered to have their cash or their EBT cards ready.

It's a epidemic in our society. People who see their world as just themselves with no context or consideration for the people around them.

Of course, I wish every store ran like the Soup Nazi's.

9. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

A long, long time ago my wife (then girlfriend) and I were driving through South Dakota on our way to New Mexico. Stopped a hotel after a long day's drive. We weren't aware bikers were converging on the area and were kept up all night by bikers arriving at the hotel parking lot. I was pissed. I am a very good complainer so I bitched at the front desk the next morning and we weren't charged for the room. I'd rather have slept and paid, though.
    In this case the people should have complained to the front desk and asked to be moved if possible.
    By the way we have two kids now and I understand this situation from both sides. The brother blogger did exactly what he accused the other guest of doing, offering an opinion without getting the facts of what was going on on the other side of the wall.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Screaming babies are a lose-lose situation for bystanders. Ignore them and your experience of the Mass, the movie, the restaurant, whatever, is severely lessened. But if you confront the parent, no matter how tactfully, you feel like a jerk... no matter how the parent responds. It's a sweet, innocent little baby. How dead inside do you have to be to make a fuss?

The worst is when a mother or father hurries out, looking worried and embarrassed, trying to shush the kid. There! Through your judgmental, passive-aggressive BS, you've ruined parenthood for them. And you didn't even have the guts to confront themselves yourself. Coward.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody is blaming the babies in these situations. They are blaming the parents.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you still wind up looking like a douche for it. I mean, there's a lot more sentiment for the parents in this than the letter-writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted