1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screaming baby at ski resort -- who's right and who's wrong?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by X-Hack, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just did some research. Here's a sampling for the schedule for the upcoming
    Ophthalmology Conference in Vail. Notice the times - 10 minutes long. All
    early in the morning to allow plenty of time for the slopes.

March 10, 2014 7:25 AM to 7:35 AM
    Intelligent 3D Visualization and Computer-Guided Surgery Using the Cassini Device
    Katz, James
    Recognize the surgical visualization and computer-aided guidance platform Recall the computer-aided software for astigmatic correction and advanced IOL positioning.
    March 10, 2014 7:35 AM to 7:45 AM
    Dense Brunescent Cataracts: Old and New Management Strategies
    Kim, Terry
    identify important diagnostic steps of dense cataracts utilize differenct surgical strategies for dense cataracts apply appropriate post-operative medications and follow-up
    March 10, 2014 7:45 AM to 7:55 AM
    Torics, Torics, Torics: How to Get the Most from Your Choices
    Tyson, Farrell
    Apply and implement the current IOL Toric options

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

1) Expect to encounter assholes everywhere you go.

2) As mentioned earlier, this is a public hotel, and Dr. Brain Surgeon and Mrs. High-Powered Attorney could have ended up next to a drunken frat-boy room. And what if, on the off chance, the baby was having his or her best night of sleep ever, only to be woken up in the middle of the night? Would Mr. Blogger bitch and whine about how inconsiderate the frat kids are? And before you say, "It's a baby vs. adults." I'll reiterate that it's a public hotel. Expect assholes everywhere you go.

3) I didn't find the letter to be overly judgmental. To me, it said your baby was loud and kept us up all night. And because of that, it kind of put a damper on our vacation that we had planned a year in advance. All facts. I think the only judgmental part might be able being "considerate" and not bringing your kids.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it was pretty judgmental. It's one thing to let the people know their kid kept you up, it's another to chastize them for bringing a baby on the trip.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

The person who left the note needs to be kicked in the groin. Twice. And then forced to listen to Miley Cyrus for 48 hours straight and spend 10 hours in a room with Mark

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Every one of us was a screaming baby once.
    Helps to have some compassion for the poor kid.
    Tune it out, or suck it up. The parents have their hands full.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just be sure to give the brother-in-law the same treatment for his response, which was every bit as bad, if not worse.

Honestly, I don't have a huge problem with the note, but the people should have been complaining to the front desk if it was that bad.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yup. I agree with this. The blog comes off a whiny. Is he going to fight all of his sister's battles for her? This seems like something you vent about to friends on Facebook. Don't open it up for everyone to see.

And it's pretty funny to see people chastise the note writers. If it were you, or your family, who was kept up all night. Heck, maybe it even woke up your kids, who were soundly asleep and grumpy the whole next day because of a crying baby in the other room, you'd likely feel different. This is the way they handled it. How would you have handled it?

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

the brother deserving to be kicked in the dick is independent of the notewriter needing it.

Yes, it was whiny, but two wrongs don't make a right, or whatever feel-good cliche one might care to use

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hotels should have no-baby floors.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Once in a while you don't get to sleep well. Boo-hoo-hoo.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've heard some very loud fucking in hotels.

Once, no lie , I thought some lady was ill and I almost called 911 for an ambulance, then I realized, oh, they're just fucking.

Oddly, I got a woody and walked away.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Meh. I certainly don't want to pay a resort be kept up all night. I just wouldn't have bothered with a note like that. What is it going to accomplish? I probably would have taken it up with the resort, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted