1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: ObamaCare Decision

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No ruling today.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

And SCOTUSblog says we're done. No Obamacare.

3. MileHigh

Next day for rulings is Monday, 8 a.m. MDT.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Look at it, though. There is a bunch of stuff in the majority that Kennedy does not join.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Your top bands always leave their biggest number for the last encore.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do you think they'd release it on a Monday?

7. MileHigh

I think it comes next Thursday, the last day of the term.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed. If they wait until Thursday to announce it, I take that as an indication that the whole thing is getting tossed.

9. MileHigh

I take it that they gave an unprecedented three days to argue it and it's the biggest ruling of the term.

It was noted on SCOTUS blog there are five decisions plus health care still pending. Pure guessing that the five minus health care (including Arizona) come Monday, then health care on Thursday.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Remember there are four elements to the Health Care decision.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/not-your-average-read/2012/jun/20/supreme-court-obamacare-decision-unconstitutional/

I predict (and I'm hoping I'm wrong on the mandate one)....
    9-0 that the law doesn't violate the Anti-Injunction Act and that they can hear the case now (instead of waiting until 2014 when the Federal mandate portion of the law goes into effect)... although it would be very interesting if the court ruled it did violate so they wouldn't have to rule on the other portions of the suit until 2014 - after the election - so they can't get accused of playing politics with the individual mandate.

5-4 that the individual mandate is unconstitutional

7-2 as a result of the mandate being unconstitutional, the rest of the law has to be scrapped because it won't be the same law that Congress passed

6-3 that the portion of the law requiring states to expand the Medicaid eligibility program IS constitutional because Medicaid is a federal program and as such Congress can dictate to the states how to administer the program. Even though it becomes irrelevant based on the above two decisions, it gives Congress a guideline for rewriting the law

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who cares what the Supremes say? I'm going to wait for Zag to decide what's constitutional or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.