1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: ObamaCare Decision

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd say that out of the three non-Roberts conservatives, though, he'd had some idiosynchratic, politically unpredictable views, particularly on criminal defendant's rights.

2. Dick Whitman

I know this notion might blow some citizens' mind here, but: I'd have to read the opinion first.

I know, I know.

Crazy talk. :)

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Broken clock right twice a day, etc.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Depends on how you wanted it to be ruled. Like any other issue, blame the side you don't agree with and you're ok.

5. Quakes

Quakes Guest

If it's 5-4 to uphold, that means at least one conservative appointed by a Republican president will have voted to uphold the Democratic president's law. So it couldn't be perceived as entirely political.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

It'll be struck down 5-4, a decision made possible by the Koch Brothers, News Corp, ALEC, FreedomWorks, American Crossroads, the RNC, local, state and national Chambers of Commerce, the AMA, the Heritage Foundation, AEI, Rush Limbaugh and Fox News viewers like you.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

SCOTUS blog is live blogging, with people in the press room as decisions come down around 8 a.m. MDT.

http://scotusblog.wpengine.com/

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I love the responses to iditor
    I love the responses to idiotic comments.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Back when Earl Warren was chief, so many of the key cases of that era were 9-0 (Brown, Gideon, Sullivan, Loving) but all the important Roberts cases (Citizens, Ledbetter, Parents vs. Seattle, student speech, the Philip Morris case) all went 5-4.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

If an opinion is issued today (SCOTUSblog seemed to think it wouldn't, it should be known soon, like within the hour.)

11. Dick Whitman

I'll still trying to sort through what the Seattle/Louisville case vote was. 5-4? 4-4-1? It's a total mess, with Kennedy not joining in most of Roberts's most sweeping language.

12. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The Seattle case was 5-4 with Breyer, Ginsburg, Souter and Stevens in dissent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.