1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Gitmo prisoners have rights under Constitution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The quote was that 'they are one vote from taking over. The 'they' refers to the conservatives judges having the majority of the Supreme Court.

McCain and Obama agree with the five judges on this issue. If 'they' took over, the vote would swing the other way, and the two candidates would disagree.

Thing is, EVERYONE should be happy that constitutional rights are preserved. Because if they are eroded, 'they' could be yanking your constitutional rights next over some trivial thing.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Most people don't realize that the reason Bob Barr is running on the Libertarian line and not the GOP is because he called bullshit on the Patriot Act and its cousins right from the start, when it was very unpopular to do so. I was uncomfortable with it because I imagined the potential for abuse under, say, President Hillary Clinton. (That seems quaint now that she has missed the brass ring and Bush has screwed things up way worse than anyone could have imagined.)

Lincoln and FDR don't provide the worrisome precidents here. Andy Jackson does. What are the odds that Bush treats these prisoners like so many disgruntled Cherokees from back in the day?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What bothers me the most is this incredibly stupid thing that keeps popping up attached to members who should be smarter than that: the idea that the Constitution only enshrines rights for Americans. It does not do so; what it does is lay out what the government can and cannot do, regardless of citizenship. I didn't realize that many people here had failed civics class in their freshman year of high school. (And two is two too many.)

Mizzou and SixToe: Britons, Iranians, Kenyans, Canadians, Bosnians, Egyptians, Frenchmen and Mexicans have the right of habeas corpus in American courts just like Americans do.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My point is McCain and Obama are more alike than most people care to admit. They could very well appoint the same type of SCOTUS judge. Therefore if McCain is one of "them" so is Obama.

5. They are alike in that they are against torture and for the fair treatment of enemy combatants.
    Do you think that would be a litmus test for either of them, though?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not with nutbags like Brownback helping McCain pick. There's no way he won't try to appease his hardcore righties on issues like this.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They're just sorting out the charges. It takes a while.

8. digger

digger New Member

When exactly was this "war with radical islamists'' declared? I don't recall any vote by congress on that.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Agree with Headbutt 100 percent on this. And this is exactly why it's so scary hearing people say there's not that much difference between the candidates or that it wouldn't be "nuts" for HRC followers to switch to McCain. Party affiliation matters. Party platforms matter. Candidates aren't elected without the support of many, many powerful people and, yes, they are beholden to them.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They declared war on us.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I thought Terror had declared war on us.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Given that this is a nation founded by immigrants, this is the most disgraceful, shameful series of posts I have ever seen on this site. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Non-citizens don't have Constitutional protections? Utter horsecrap.

Draft saved Draft deleted