1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Bush overstepped authority at Gitmo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Earl Warren had as much to do with making the 1960s an era of turmoil as he did making it an age of linear progress. That makes him an instrument of his times, not his corrupt administration like Scalia and Thomas.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're either not reading what I wrote or you're missing the point. I didn't say Earl Warren created the social ills of the 50s and 60s. I said that the Supreme Court was not meant to play the role that elected officials should have been. What Warren did do, was open a can of worms.

You are kind of proving my point. You like what Warren did, which is the reason for your post. You find Scalia and Thomas' politics repugnant. So you don't like it when they use the court in the exact same way for their purposes.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The Supreme Court has intermittently been a political football since Marbury. SCOTUS would make an unpopular decision, people would be up in arms and politicians would rush to use it to their advantage. Obviously, that happened quite a bit during the Warren Court. But Roe made it a permanent political football. I whole-heartedly agree with Justice Ginsburg's sentiments that the Court would have been a lot better off by not hearing Roe. Had Roe never been handed down, the march toward legalized abortion would have continued and states would have increasingly allowed it and opponents of abortion would have been fighting losing battles all over the nation. But Roe galvanized the pro-lifers and gave them a simple way to reach their goal: get five Supreme Court justices opposed to Roe. How do you do that? By thinking ahead far enough to develop a farm team of anti-Roe's in the U.S. Court of Appeals. And the pro-choicers responded by trying to always make sure they had at least five pro-Roe justices on the court and developing their own farm team. And when both sides are seemingly fixated on one issue, you fail to fully examine the other issues.

4. Ragu --
    There's sound constitutional reasoning behind all the ones I mentioned, including Griswold. (And, contrary to your post, there hasn't been a serious challenge to Griswold yet, despite the fact that there "isn't a constitutional scholar alive" who agrees with it - which is, ah, a non-fact.) There was solid 4th,5th and 6th amendment law behind both Gideon and Miranda. There was an equal-protection argument behind Brown that had lain there for anyone to pick up since the close of Reconstruction. This wasn't a bunch of lefties playing handball. I'll give you Douglas, maybe, and Brennan, but, hell, Warren was the governor of California who interned the Japanese, and most of the court were Eisenhower appointees.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Weighing in on this late, but my question to you would be why shouldn't they qualify for Geneva protections? If we're at war, through the Al-Qaeda-WMD-Iraq connection, then they would be enemy combatants and qualify for that protection. If, instead, they're considered criminals, then they're supposed to be afforded due process.

So what are we considering them?

6. Neither the AUMF [Authorization for the Use of Military Force] nor the DTA [Detainee Treatment Act] can be read to provide specific, overriding authorization for the commission convened to try Hamdan. Assuming the AUMF activated the President’s war powers, see Hamdi v. Rumsfeld, 542 U. S. 507, and that those powers include authority to convene military commissions in appropriate circumstances, see, e.g., id., at 518, there is nothing in the AUMF’s text or legislative history even hinting that Congress intended to expand or alter the authorization set forth in UCMJ Art. 21.

(from the Syllabus)
    That last sentence makes me think things are going to get very interesting if the NSA wiretap case ever gets this far.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Because they're not a signatory. For the same reason I'm not protected by your health insurance. You benefit from the treaties and agreements to which you are a party.

Alternatively, because there are rules within Geneva to qualify for the protections (uniform etc.) which they don't comply with either.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FB, Griswold established a nebulous "right to privacy" that can essentially be used to encompass any behavior if you want to twist it enough. When the justice writing the opinion specifically writes in the decision that 1) the right the decision is based on isn't explicitly mentioned in the constitution (and it isn't. The word privacy can't even been found in the document), but 2) the right can be found in the "penumbras" of other constitutional protections, he is essentially admitting that they are making up things and ascribing them to the constitution.

And I didn't say there isn't a constitutional scholar alive who agrees with it. I said there isn't a constitutional scholar alive who believes it was a solid ruling based on its constitutional merits. There is a distinction. You might love what Griswold effectively did while admitting that they spun bullshit to do it. The fact is, it wasn't a constitutional issue. It was a legislative issue.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm tired of Clarence Thomas writing opinions and not asking questions.

He needs to go to the locker room and face the music. He's a fag.  :D

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought they were considered enemy combatants, which is why we're (supposed to be) following the Geneva accords.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The argument is that the al-Q detainees aren't protected by Geneva because they aren't prisoners of war. Under Geneva, you must (a) be commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates; (b) have a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance (fight under a flag/wear a uniform); (c) carry arms openly; and (d) conduct their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

Here is a good primer on the controversy:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/iraq/genevaconventions.html

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fine, if that's the stance you're going to take. I ask again, what IS their status?

Draft saved Draft deleted