1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Bush overstepped authority at Gitmo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Great. Lock 'em up and leave 'em there then.

Thought it was intereseting that the guy running Gitmo said they might have been able to prevent the recent suicides if it hadn't been for the Geneva Convention rules governing lighting in the cells.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Armchair, the commandant at Gitmo is a prime candidate for a war crimes trial his own self. His testimony is suspect under the way too much self-interest rule

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm really looking forward to reading your legal analysis. Why I set aside my whole day to read your critique of Justice Thomas.....pity that you are going to let me do my own research. I planned on learning from one of the great minds of our time.

And you make being a condescending prick sound like a character fault.

4. The best measure of what a blow to the administration this is will be the lengths to which the administration goes to completely ignore it.
    If they do, by the way, that's an impeachable offense.

Your Holiness -- Please, the vow of humility.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't have a problem with detaining terror suspects while they're investigated. But I will say that I have always expected the U.S. to hold itself to a higher standard than the world. We should always strive to respect the Geneva Convention and its tenants, because if you're in the military and captured by the enemy, you can only hope and pray that they'll do the same (which they likely won't). But we need to be better than those other countries.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pope,

Clarence sealed it for me when he was the only justice who never asked a question in the landmark case when the Supremes decided who would be president in 2000 and I believe the only one not to present an opinion in the decision.

Sitting on your hands is no way to go through your career on the bench.

7. alley --
    Also huge props to the JAG guys who fought this all the way up through the courts despite what I assume must have been some serious intra-service heat.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's funny, Pope, is at no point have you tried to defend Thomas.

So have at it. Otherwise, I don't understand your sense of entitlement.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Ace, I don't think it's so much that he's been sitting on his hands, it's that he's been using them to give Fredo and this administration a reach-around.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought it was either that or a penile implant pump but I didn't want to say since I wasn't sure.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Understandable. Always better to take the cautious route in matters like this.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Never mind a healthy respect for the bench. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted