1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scottie Pippen said Jordan can score 100 points in a game in today's NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 11, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You really believe the physical gap between Russell and Chamberlain was a canyon compared to the gap between Jordan and the defenders he faced?

Chamberlain faced Russell. Jordan faced Voshon Lenard, among others.

Jeebus, is there anyone older than 30 on this board?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, if you're going to take one great player Wilt faced and one below-average player Jordan faced, it's going to be a pretty easy case to make for you.

On the other hand, the night Wilt scored 100, he had an advantage of 3 inches and 55 pounds (based on basketball-reference.com heights and weights) over the opposing center, Darrall Imhoff. The Knicks' starting forwards that night, Willie Naulls and Johnny Green, were 6-6 and 6-5. That's pretty much how the league looked.

And also, I don't know if you're trying to say Russell shut down Wilt or was his physical equal, but Wilt did average 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds in their 142 career meetings.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

You should ease off him. After all, he watched a few highlights from the 1960s. AND he has common sense on his side!

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am. And you are way too smart to be flinging such an absurdly flawed argument. You cherry pick the ONLY guy in the entire league that could hope to match up to Wilt when he entered the league, and a guy who was at the bottom of the list of Jordan's defenders, and like that's a valid comparison? C'mon, you're better than that.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Says the guy who has written Pippin in every post. I was going to call you out for it (and did), but someone beat me to it.

If you are waiting for someone to "move on," the best person to do so would be you. You have shown a basic lack of knowledge about the NBA's past in almost every post.

You keep trying to throw out insults, and as you do this, you are just making yourself look even worse. Others are starting to jump on your flaws.

I'll cut a deal with you, though. If you drop this stuff now, I'll kill the original post that seems to have annoyed you so much. Then you can wipe out your subsequent references, and that will be that.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Amazing that someone who's 7 feet tall would have few physical peers, while a guard would have any number of them.

Don't look now, but you're arguing against your own case, which I think even you have lost track of now. You want to say Jordan would score "more," but not 100. Don't look now, but the thread said he would score 100.

You should just wave the white flag now and move on.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Um, that's the point. Tall players in basketball often do well.

BTW, Stoney says he waits for me to post one thing factually correct. Near the start, I said Chamberlain was several inches taller than Jordan. I think that would pass muster.

8. LongTimeListener

Honestly Martin, you're coming a little unhinged here and I really don't know what your point is anymore.

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

It's just annoying to see no argument other than sentimentality, revision, or "I watched some highlights," followed with some insults about a less-than-serious post that keeps getting dragged out.

My point is that Chamberlain had physical advantages on everyone other than Russell. Of course he would score a ton of points -- who would stop him?

Jordan, on the other hand, had different advantages. None of them would allow him to score 100, though, no matter what the defensive rules were.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There were only eight teams in the league. Wilt faced Russell 142 times. Hardly "cherry-picking" when you're matched up against a guy 20 times a year (including playoffs).

By the time you throw in Nate Thurmond, Walt Bellamy, Wes Unseld, Willis Reed, etc., Wilt was playing well over half his games --- and almost all his playoff games --- against legitimate, physical opponents.

11. LongTimeListener

Who were 3-6 inches shorter.

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Which is the point.

Draft saved Draft deleted