1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scottie Pippen said Jordan can score 100 points in a game in today's NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 11, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

...and average 40 to 50 points per game. I think the scoring average is a little out there, even for His Airness. But 100 points? I think he could do it if he was 15 years younger.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/11/scottie-pippen-michael-jordan-100-points_n_834613.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would bet every last nickel of Scottie Pippen's bank account that this could happen.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

and I would also bet Pippen would bitch about not getting his shots after it happened.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Hm... If we're talking peak Jordan, then it would have been much easier for him to score 100 now. A couple years after he left, they started calling more handchecks and making it easier for perimeter players to score again, after the thuggery years of Pat Riley. So, I think there would be an outside chance of him getting 100 in a game, especially if he went into "eff you" mode and, say, Pippen was injured, forcing Jordan to do all the scoring.

But averaging 40 to 50 points per game? And doing it now? No way.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

MJ could score 100 today, judging him by his peak years. I think he would do it once just to do it, to show he could, but no don't think he could average 40 points a game.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Take Jordan and the Bulls team that won 72 games and put them against today's Cavaliers and if he wanted to score 100, he could score 100.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The NBA is so finesse now, where as Jordan was getting beaten up by the Bad Boys and the Celtics and still averaged 30 a season. I think 100 would definitely be a given.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I saw Jordan get his playoff record 63 against the Celts in 1986. He did it, amazingly enough, in the flow of the offense, as teammate Orlando Woolridge had more than 20 shots, most bricks. But 100 is A LOT. It took Wilt Chamberlain 63 shots and 32 free throws to get his century. That's 75 possessions or so (three-to-make-two rule back then, and Wilt needed three most times). Jordan's team would either have to him take 90 percent of the shots, or the score would have to be about 150-145 for it to happen. So I disagree. One reason Wilt got the 100 is that he went the full 48 most nights. NBA coaches would never let their superstar do that in a regular season game today, no matter how hot he got. Regular rotations in the second and third quarters would take precedence. As for averaging 40, forget it. Which makes you think about Wilt averaging 50 for a season.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Early in Jordan's career, before the Bulls were that good, there were a few teams that seemed to just let Jordan do whatever he wanted, then they'd shut everyone else down and while he'd score 50+, the Bulls would lose.

I think it would have to be something that all of the Bulls players were in on so they would make sure he would have the ball on every single possession. It would also likely involve Jordan continuing to play like it was the NBA Finals even when the Bulls were up by 30+ against a dreadfully mismatched opponent.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't know about 100, but I'm certain Jordan would score quite a bit more today. The perimeter handchecking and muggings on the drive that were permitted in the 90s were the only way teams could even begin to hope to defend Jordan in his prime, but under today's rules that stuff's no longer tolerated. He would definitely score more under today's rules.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He would score as much as David Stern wanted him to, which means he could average 50 a game if Stern thought fixing the refs to Jordan's advantage (even more than they were in the mid-'90s) would bring ratings up.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

No shot, Anthony Parker would shut him down. Plus, with Samardo Samuels guarding the rim Jordan would be lucky to get double figures. Cavs basketball, baby!

Draft saved Draft deleted