1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Rolen: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is the Hall of Great. The fact that mistakes were made in the past does not change that.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If we're going to make it something else going forward, can we try for the Hall of Steak and Blowjobs?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Might as well. Apparently we can make it whatever we want it to be.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I wonder who the inaugural class would be in the HoSaB.....

(Not trying to make a HoF-related point. Just struck by momentary silliness).

5. outofplace

Yes the "It's the Hall of FAME" crew really does try to make it into whatever they want it to be, and they use past mistakes to justify their flawed reasoning.

6. RickStain

And the "Hall of Great" crowd are deriving their opinions from the empirical truths at the heart of the universe?

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He's borderline, but if the next couple years are similiar to the 2010; I think he's in. He'd have more than a decade's worth of very good offensive production for his position, he's got the other awards -- the gold gloves, the all-stars berths, the rookie of the year, etc.

Position definitely plays a factor. After Chipper and half of A-Rod's career, I think you can make the case Rolen's the best third baseman in the last decade and a half.

8. outofplace

The intent is to enshrine the greatest players. If you can't see past your sliderule to get that, you are truly a lost cause.

9. RickStain

The intent was to be a money-making tourist trap. So I think it's safe to infer that it was created to enshrine players who would draw a paying crowd, i.e. the famous ones.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

So even if we just call it "fame," does that mean Rolen gets in? I never thought he was a wildly popular, everyone loves to the point overrating player? Am I wrong? His stats nor his celebrity come close.

11. RickStain

I don't think anyone's argued for him to be in. But unanimity of opinion never stopped a HOF thread from turning into an argument.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'll avoid my verdict on the ultimate question--mainly because I don't know--but I will say this: this is a solid example of a guy who'd be percieved differently in these discussions if hed been playing for one of MLB's Yankee/Red Sox glamour franchises.

An under the radar name that causes us to have a knee jerk NO reaction. But if he'd racked up the exact same resume--8 gold gloves, over 300 HRs from the 3rd base position, World Series winner, .498 slugger, etc.--on the Yankees or Sox he'd be a MUCH more famous athlete and he'd be getting more consideration in discussions like this one. Just an observation.

Draft saved Draft deleted