1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Rolen: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had never really thought about him as one, but Baseball Prospectus, which just arrived this week, states it matter-of-factly in their Rolen capsule, that he has already "done enough to earn enshrinement in Cooperstown."

Here's some raw numbers: Eight Gold Gloves, .498 slugging percentage, 303 home runs.

BP mentions that third basemen are severely underrepresented in Cooperstown, which is true.

Is Rolen worthy? To me, he feels like a guy who fell a couple great seasons short, but maybe I'm not realizing how great a third basemen he was in his prime. Is he Brooks Robinson?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's not Brooks Robinson (who might be the best defensive player in baseball history, at any position). But it's hard to say Rolen's not one of the top 10-15 third basemen of all-time.

To me, though, he still has to wait in line behind A-Rod and Chipper Jones among third basemen of his era.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Do they have a Piece of Shit Wing?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Outing alert! mb is Larry Bowa.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My immediate reaction is fuck no.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Unless Baseball Prospectus has 75 percent of the votes, no way

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Possible. But Chipper Jones and ARod runs circles around him.

Rolen had 8 really good seasons in his 20s. His injury problems have really screwed up his 30s.

I don't think he's done quite enough yet, but his career isn't over.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm going with "no" despite the lack of third basemen. He's close because of that, but he doesn't have the peak or the longevity, and you have to have one or the other.

But it's funny how the "Defense is so important, statheads don't get that" stuff goes away when a guy comes up that 1) is unlikeable and 2) statheads say added a ton of defensive value.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The lack of third basemen is irrelevant, or at least it should be. Rolen belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Rolen is the classic tweener, a good but great player. Throw out home runs because those don't have as much a say in HOF consideration as 10, 20 years ago.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If he were to retire now, no.

If he has 3 more years of declining performance until he's out of baseball -- a very common pattern for 35-year-old players -- no.

If he has 2-3 more decent years including one very good one -- probably yes.
    (Although these days any 35+ player having a sudden resurgence in performance is likely to face a lot of skepticism.)

Draft saved Draft deleted