1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop as ball. Discuss.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

2. Life ... done changed. Funny.

Dude needs some editing, but he's not a bad writer.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It was okay, but too long.

Also, I forget who wrote it, but not too long ago Page 2 had a piece on Yankee Stadium being jealous of the soon-to-be-built New Yankee Stadium and angry with the organization. It was written from the voice of Yankee Stadium, exactly how Scoop wrote the ball piece. Scoop's pales in comparison to the Yankee Stadium piece, which had me laughing.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Didn't like it. Couldn't finish it.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Last year a part-timer here did a Q&A with one of the local HS gyms that was closing in lieu of a new one. It was short but effective and pretty good. I love the idea of giving life and voice to objects through writing. Even if it's not done at Pulitzer-caliber it's always interesting to see what kind of life and voice the writer gave said object.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

These people claim that Scoop pilferred their idea. I think. I wouldn't click on one of Scoops' columns on a dare. I don't have a dog in this. But several people in the blogsphere seem to think Scoop pilferred something.

http://www.yaysports.com/nba/orange_roundie/
    http://www.3manlift.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=43
    http://www.thebiglead.com/

7. Cousin Jeffrey

It looks like just another example of bloggers upset someone called them just a "web site" instead of "crediting" them. Give me a break.

8. statrat

statrat Member

I was reading through it, and was thinking "Wow. I'm actually liking one of Scoop's columns. It's a good concept that he can't possible botch." And then it just kept on going and going and going and going. If he had cut it down by half it would have been good.

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Cousin Jeff - If someone came up with an idea that you're talking at length about, you wouldn't credit them by name?

10. Cousin Jeffrey

No, not when the concept at hand is of the "orange roundie."

And he might have credited them by name originally, but his editors might have cut it out and replaced it with a generic term. In no way is this plagarism.

11. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

True, editors may have replaced.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I gotta tell you, this ^^^^^ sounds a bit defensive. As someone who routinely used to have his stuff (in my opinion, for potential lawyers) pilfered by the SJ Mercury News, it gets old. You know, like the graduate student who busts his ass and whose name isn't on the paper and who isn't even obliquely credited.

I'm not saying Scoop did or didn't borrow someone else's style for the ball piece. I haven't had a chance to check the relevant links which have been provided. Even if he has, he sure as hell isn't the first writer to do so. Not that I agree with the practice, but it's unfortunately quite common. Scoop certainly is not the creator of the practice, if in fact he employed it at all.

Overall, however, I liked Scoop's piece. It was long, but it was enjoyable and informative. Good job, sportsbr. . . I mean, Scoop! He's doing a very good job of staying within his wheelhouse,which is a more general, narrative style rather than a John Hollinger - esque minutiae approach or a Bill "I watch every game and every second of the NBA season" style. I like it. Those and similar guys can do predictions, etc.

But there's another, distinct market for what Scoop's doing this year with his NBA musings (same as there is a market for what he did in previous years). His past years' work on the NBA, I wasn't a big fan of. This year's stuff, I like quite a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted