1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School Sites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thomas Goldkamp, Jun 19, 2012.

1. J Staley

J Staley Member

I don't think it has to be about finding a positive spin. Fans aren't that dense — sometimes the positive angle doesn't exist. But the school-generated story can mention the negative aspects without being snarky, pointed or assigning blame, then calling for somebody's head , which is not what some fans want to read after their team suffers a disappointing loss.

2. Exactly, and providing the example I did was proof that you can do just that. I really thought the article itself was well-crafted. It did exactly what you explained. As I've said a few times in this thread, I respect Scott. In addition to my interactions with him personally, I've read every post on the crazy-long thread about him and literally everyone I respect that I've met in this business has raved about him. If I could write every story as well as he does, I'd feel pretty good about myself.

Fact of the matter is, when he started in the position he is in now, even some people who knew him ahead of time were skeptical about what it would mean for everyone on the beat. I wasn't even working full-time at that point, for full disclosure. Scott has handled what he does as gracefully as you could possibly ask for from our perspective. Like Alma said, we know what he will do and what he won't. He's a hell of a writer, and I have yet to meet anyone on the beat who doesn't like him or his work.

But for whatever reason, that headline irked me last night. And it resurfaced some of the questions I had about how best to cope with the (from my perspective) growing trend of school sites wising up to the benefits of having someone with a non-PR background writing about the program. Look, I feel like I'm a pretty good writer. But I also have a pretty good grasp on reality. I know with the kind of access he gets and the kind of writer he is, Scott is going to beat me on a lot of things.

My main point in bringing up the topic, frustrated though I was, was to learn. I want to learn what I can do to hit the areas they can't. Job security, as simple as that.

And many of the comments in this thread have been enlightening, especially the ones reminding me of the fact that it makes perfect sense for the schools to go after the market they see available for them. Hell, it's good business sense. In a lot of ways, that's why I brought the topic up in the first place. Looking for ways to compete with that to make sure the business I work for can continue to be profitable so I have a job.

I'm sure I come across as whiny and young sometimes, but I really do appreciate the feedback.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

The Columbus Dispatch says, "absolutely"

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There will always be a role for journalists, even if access is cut off, because there will always be someone who wants to air an organization's dirty laundry. Sure, you won't get canned quotes from a presser, or get answers to "talk about" questions directed at player who can't string more than two sentences together, but there will be a place for real news. That place won't be in print, but someone who is good at getting the dirty details will succeed. It will be survival of the fittest.

5. Tommy 2-Tone

Tommy 2-Tone New Member

Once again, no one in the media takes responsibility for why they are failing. If you weren't negative all the time, if you weren't so sour, always trying to make something out of nothing so you can get on ESPN, maybe people would be more willing to work with you. The public is tiring of all negative, all the time. You did it to yourselves, and your unwillingness to embrace the Internet early on, LIKE THE SCHOOLS, has fried your profession. Schools have every right to control their own access, their own message, and there is plenty of coverage of negative things on their sites, just minus smartass comments from media slaps. And when you all go to 3 days a week, the school sites will be more important and at that point, should consider charging for access to game because the media is a business. You're done and we're enjoying it.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

In terms of generating overall venom from a first post, I like Tommy 2-Tone as much as anyone.

Yes, you can reach your core fans on your site. If you want to reach beyond that, those dying newspapers might help, if they can afford your cover charge.

7. Tommy 2-Tone

Tommy 2-Tone New Member

"Yes, you can reach your core fans on your site. If you want to reach beyond that, those dying newspapers might help, if they can afford your cover charge."

You assume I am with a school -- I am a fan of college sports who recently cancelled my subscription to our local paper. I know a few people in the athletic department and have heard first hand how some, repeat some and not all, are bitter, negative, jealous, etc., and take it out on successful, popular people. Many more people will like a Peyton Manning than a Jay Marriotti or Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, the "LOOK AT ME" media slapdicks.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe journalists should quit their jobs and start a blog. Then they'll be free to succeed. Or maybe run a fanboi site for Tommy to read.

9. Chris17

Chris17 Member

I think you should quit and be a poet....

Draft saved Draft deleted