1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School employee fired for correcting student's spelling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Student tweeted to the county school system that they should close schools "tammarow" because of the snow, to which the employee responded that if they cancelled class, how would the kid ever learn to spell correctly.

Frederick County Public Schools Employee Fired for Tweet

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're really in favor of the district's official social media account mocking students?

Seems like an odd take from you.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rules is rulz.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am in favor of someone mocking a kid in high school, who spells tomorrow that way.

It wasn't mocking the kid in a cruel way, anyhow. It was making a joke of it.

For what it is worth, when the kid wrote on his twitter feed that he didn't take it personally, he spelled it "personaly." At least in that case, it could have been a typo and not a kid who has managed to get deep into high school with marginal literacy skills.

5. MisterCreosote

Not necessarily, but I'm hugely in favor of doing anything it takes to ensure our kids don't communicate like morons. And, that they realize the full scope of what they do and say on the Internet.

Teaching that is not always going to be unicorns and rainbows.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

Eh, I'm in favor of letting a kid be a kid where possible. I can only imagine the number of times I could/would have been publicly shamed had I grown up in the Internet era because of stupid stuff I did. The adults should be adults.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, student shaming from an official Twitter feed is a bit much.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The thing is, I could see an exchange of this type happening in a classroom (if the kid had written something on the board, for example). Teacher would have embarrassed the kid a little in front of his classmates, and that would be the end of it.

All the internet did was expand the reach of something not all that out of the ordinary. And I have to say I'm for ANYTHING that might make someone --- regardless of age --- get in the habit of looking something up before posting. That can't be a bad thing.

9. LongTimeListener

It's fundamentally different if it's a private limited audience vs. blasting it out to the world.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see that. But pretty much anyone today can spread anything that happens in a private limited audience to the world anyway. As Mitt "47 percent" Romney can attest. Or the upcoming tape of the Trump pee party.

11. MisterCreosote

The real "shame" lies in communicating that poorly in the first place, not that someone pointed it out.

Obviously we should strive for a less mocking tone, but embracing or tolerating ignorance is much more harmful overall.

12. LongTimeListener

There was definitely no ignorance nor were there class clowns in previous generations.

These fucking millennials.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted