1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School district cuts programs $1.2M, then wants $460K for football field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

This is nowhere near as bad as what Birmingham-Southern did last May.
    Birmingham-Southern decided it was going to move all of its athletic programs from Division I to Division III (non-scholarship), only a few years after the school originally moved to DI.
    Essentially, the school said it couldn't afford to pay scholarships. However, the new DIII program is going to be in a conference that includes teams from Colorado. Can't exactly bus every team over there every time.
    But here's the kicker: In all of its money-saving glory, the school decides its going to start, you guessed it, a football program.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Privatize every sport. Cut them right out of everywhere. The schools then refocus on the real purpose of physical education and healthy living. It would either save or destroy American education. But, at the very least, it'd kill a cancer.

The minute that schools could say to their students "I don't really give a shit" when those students talk about all their practice and dedication to something entirely unrelated to the progress of knowledge in this country...that's the minute we'd begin to progress.

Could you imagine it? It would turn our educational system Up. Side. Down.

3. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I wish that would happen in my area. The teachers would go absolutely nuts when their kids didn't get first dibs for all the teams.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

In one of our districts, the state actually gave the school money specifically for turf and the residents still voted it down.
    Taxes would have gone up $2 per family, and no academics would have been cut. Idiots.

Interesting side bar. The state was actually giving the school money for the field and improvements to the stadium. The football team ended up losing a game because the lights blew out one night.

Team just misses cut for sectionals, then makes it back in when another team is cut for an ineligible player. Our team goes into the playoffs never even having won a playoff game and won the state championship. Biggest upset in state history.

5. Man, it's bad enough we have to deal with overbearing anal copymongers at work but you're going to push your pet peeves on our posts as well? Let the dude say monies without the harassment. I mya even miisspell a few words here adn there.

Here she comes now, says Monies, Monies ...

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's not monies. Ever. And it's not persons, either. I can't be the only one who's tired of bureaucratic non-words like monies and persons afflicting the language.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I call total bullshit on this. Perhaps at the highest levels of high school athletics it's crazy, but for a significant majority of high school athletes, the participation is sports is as much of an educational tool as any class. The decision to join the wrestling team ranks as one of the best decisions I've ever made in life for the lessons and discipline it instilled. And it certainly was of greater benefit to me than any fucking piece of shit drawing class I ever took was. Privatizing sports and divorcing it from the education process would be the biggest disaster schools could ever self-inflict.

8. Monies, get away.
    Get a good job with good pay and youre okay.
    Monies, its a gas.
    Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash

(Fixed)

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Alma,

This is not the approach to take. Yes, the are serious flaws in the educational system, but taking away a positive after school activity for many kids is not the answer. Many parents expect the school systems to educate and take parental responsibility for their kids and that that is an issue that should be examined.

I won't deny that sports and the perceived importance some place on it has been a problem in many situations, but don't deny the positive aspects in other situations. Do you really think getting rid of sports in schools would result in any kind of positive change? I honestly don't understand your position. Do you really think sports have that kind of an impact on grades K-12?

Draft saved Draft deleted