1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School campaign, you in?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Sort of a spinoff to the "Do you cheer" thread...

If the school you cover--we're talking NCAA hoops here--has a white out, or a black out, or whatever, do you play along and dress the same as the fans? I ask because it seems like every time there's a white out game on TV (today it was Louisville), everyone along press row is dressed in white.

I have had one of these white out games, and showed up in black (not on purpose, but because I didn't give it much thought.) Some folks looked at me strangely, as if I had done something wrong. And yeah, I was one of only a handful who didn't wear white.

Just wondering...

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No effin way. I seriously try to avoid either of the team's colors when dressing for a game I'm covering.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Don't wear what everyone's wearing, don't wear the opposite. When in doubt, go naked.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

How many slub sports writers only wear white or blue dress shirts? Seems to me the guys on press row could have just been wearing their standard dress and suddenly had 20,000 college kids play along.

5. CCaple

CCaple Member

I go out of my way to NOT wear the colors of the school I'm covering, even if it's just a polo shirt that happens to be the same color.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

What the hell?

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And there's your answer.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No. White is a pretty common dress shirt color.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd rather service a hamster.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I goofed up the other day and wore an orange sweater to a playoff game where the home was wearing orange and I felt like an idiot all game.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd feel bad enough just for owning an orange sweater.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And shows dirt too easily.

I wore green to games a lot, mainly because the teams I covered rarely used green themselves and rarely played green teams.

I can think of one high school that I covered, one NFL team (and the Jaguars were more greenish than green), four "away" high schools (two were one-timers at a state tournament) and two "away" colleges (Colorado State and Ohio) that wore green in over 10 years of working. Probably completely random and not backed up by a true statistical sample.

Draft saved Draft deleted