1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schilling to Clemens: Give Back the Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 20, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That does seem logical.

If Bonds is innocent, why has he not sued for libel? If Clemens is innocent, why has he not sued his trainer-adviser-supposed butt-sticker?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It seems stunningly disingenuous for a player to now step up and give speeches and lectures about this.

The media has been lambasted, skewered, and humiliated for its failure to really get inside a story that was hiding in plain view. But what about the players? None of this was a secret, certainly not to the teammates of the obvious juicers. I understand completely about the secrecy and sanctity of the clubhouse....but where was the moral outrage and indignation when all of this was going on?

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Whether you believe him or not, I liked Brady Anderson's quotes from Roch Kubato's blog:

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"I want to state clearly and without qualification: I did not take steroids, human growth hormone or any other banned substances at any time in my baseball career or, in fact, my entire life," Clemens said in a statement released by his agent, Randy Hendricks.

He completely denied it, except for the possibility that he took non-banned substances that were not HGH or steroids.

If he took non-banned Performance enhancers, that's OK.

What else does he need to do?
    People can believe or disbelieve him. It's not like the government is trying to deny him a thing so he gets no due process hearing. He's not entitled to due process by any media outlet, they can report what they like, even known falsehoods as long as not done maliciously.

The only tort I can think of is that MLB has interfered with his ability to negotiate an employment contract with one of the MLB teams. T

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's not that Clemens didn't release a statement. It's that considering the allegations against him, you'd think he'd WANT to do more than just issue a statement, especially if he's clean.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

What does Clemens need to do?
    Stop hiding behind statements issued through his attorneys and agents.
    How about suing those who have "falsely" accused him.
    How about a press conference to answer one sinmple question: if Andy Pettitte admits that YOUR personal trainer injected him with HGH, why should we believe that YOUR personal trainer didn't do the same for you, as he said he did?

Clemens is full of shit with his "statements."
    Time to face the music or STFU, Roger.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As I stated on the "If you're a player on the list ..." thread, MLB owes it to all of the players on the list to formally discipline them, which would bring about a grievance filing for those who want to challenge the allegations. It's the only way they get a fair hearing on the issues. And I still think one of the reasons Mitchell specifically called for no discipline was because he knew a lot of the crap he threw against the wall wouldn't stick in a formal hearing.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course, you don't actually have a witness saying he did it, as you do with Clemens. You know, actual evidence. Not that I trust what they have on Clemens, but that is a significant difference.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd take Schilling's words more seriously if he'd hadn't begged off a meeting with George Mitchell because he had nothing to offer, or if he hadn't suddenly turned silent and modest during the Congressional hearing.

What is it Curt? You either have nothing of relevance to say on the topic or you've got all the answers. What is it?

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm not saying that Brady Anderson never took drugs, but I think his '96 season is more attributable to a freaky year where everything goes right than steroids. Luis Gonzalez in 2001, although his spike wasn't as dramatic, is another example.

Draft saved Draft deleted