1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 28, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the scar right above my eye because it's way preferable to having my eyeball torn out, which was another possibility.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My scars have good stories behind them. I usually tell folks the one on my left leg is from scraping up against coral reef while scuba diving near a ship wreck off the coast of New Zealand. A side benefit is that it forced me to read up on New Zealand, which I found fascinating.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You just need a good editor!

4. KG

KG Active Member

When I see scars I just have empathy for the person, because it probably hurt when they got it. Other than that, I don't really think about scars that much. I would assume everyone has at least one. My husband cut a third of one of his fingers off. He also has a big scar on the side of his hand from the skin graft. He also has some other smaller scars. He has one on his chin. Off the top of my head I can't think of others, even though I know there are more.

As for meeting a stranger, I can see how a scar could be attractive.

Thanks to my little monster I have a big one, but I don't mind it at all.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have one on my 4th toe.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I kinda like the scar just below my lower lip, dating back to the time I fell on my chin on a bike crash, driving my teeth clean through.

The Frankenstein scar across my skull from another bike wreck? Not so cool. Thank God for long hair.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mine goes the opposite direction on my back. They had to go in through my side after I broke my back because the break was really close to my spinal cord. It took over 200 staples to close. I'm really self-conscious about it, but I remember getting a lot of surprisingly positive attention about it in the year or so after I had the surgery. There was one woman who approached me on a cruise and just kept running her finger along the scar. It really creeped me out, but she was hot so I let it happen... There are some strange people out there... Granted, that was like 14-15 years ago.... I've been with my wife for almost a decade and she's never made a single comment about it. Thank God...

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I've got about a 12- to 16-inch scar on my left side that goes up behind my shoulder from surgery when I was 10. And I've got about an inch-long scar on my left thumb where I cut myself with a Swiss Army knife when I was 9.

Neither are glamorous stories (bad luck and clumsiness), and neither have helped me get any chicks. I feel gypped.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You still have four toes? Thought you'd be down to two or three by now.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Well I know karate, Voodoo too
    I'm gonna make myself available to you
    I don't need no make up
    I got real scars
    I got hair on my chest
    I look good without a shirt

Tom Waits, ladies and gentlemen.

11. joe

joe Active Member

My dad's hands and forearms were half white because of all the scars he had from working with his hands his whole life. It's one of the most powerful images I have of him before they closed the coffin lid and wheeled him out to the hearse.

My hands and forearms have scars, but nowhere near the level my dad had. My scars mostly aren't of the physical variety.

12. psychman56

psychman56 Guest

If you are talking about grossness, maybe you could relate with one of my friends who supposedly got scalded with boiling hot water on her legs and is now suffering from the pain, though surprisingly not on emotional pain since she copes with it very well. She even jokes about it. Once the blisters and wounds heal they would go to a dermatologist and see what could be done to save her once beautiful legs.

Draft saved Draft deleted