1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scamming telephone calls

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just the facts ma am, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I put my phone on Do Not Disturb so the only time it rings is when someone on my contacts list calls. My life is a lot more blissful.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I got the IRS scam call. Told the caller to take his phone and shove it sideways up his ass.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used to blow a whistle or honk a toy horn in their ear. Usually they would hang up after that.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Steak Snabler likes this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Either don't answer in the first place, or hang up immediately. There is nothing to be gained by abusing phone scammers, since many of them have access to information about you and could use that information to hurt you in some way.

cjericho likes this.
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

True, but sometimes it's hard for an immature person to avoid f'ng with them.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have 98 numbers blocked from the same three-digit exchange for my cell phone because I've gotten so many scam calls. There are apparently a lot of warrants out for my arrest and "bad marks on my name" according to the voicemails I've gotten from these numbers.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I no longer use a smartphone because I choose not to pay $80 a month to have a personal advertisement portal on me at all times. I carry a flip phone for emergencies @$25 per month. A couple of times a year I wish I could use Uber but that is my only regret.

At home I use landline phones that do not need an internet connection. You plug these into prebuilt sockets in the walls of your home and the circuitry requires no computer/modem connection and no service calls over the decades. I even have an analog phone with no power source that will still work in a power outage. The disadvantage is that you cannot use digital means to block selective calls.

The landline telephone companies have a few internet features but they stopped expanding or innovating these years ago, as of course it made no economic sense. I can go online and block 10 numbers, which was useful when you had a personal stalker, but ineffective in the time of local number spoofing. They do have call forwarding which is nice when you go on vacation.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I have a business that has a website.

I hate these fuckers.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I went to bed last night @ 9:30, because I was going to be waking up at 4:15. I usually don't keep a phone in the bedroom when I got to bed, but for some reason last night, it was sitting on the side table. At 12:40 am, the phone rang. Foreign number. Says "Czechia." As someone who is not a great sleeper, something like that can throw me way off. There was a chance I was up for good. Luckily we both fell back to sleep quickly.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a call from Chechnya. Which would have been a total WTF? It was actually the Czech Republic. Can't imagine what the scam was. Don't want to find out.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We got a landline because the “triple play” was cheaper than just cable/Internet.

We haven’t given the number to anyone, yet the fucking thing rings constantly — probably a dozen times a day. We’ve had it for a year and haven’t answered it a single goddamn time. We put it in my mother-in-law’s room because she still thinks it’s the 1970s.

In 2018, if it’s not my wife or my kids’ school, there’s practically no reason to ever answer the phone, landline or otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted