1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by anotherbucket4monsieur, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Does SB Nation actually pay their bloggers or is this site essentially just unpaid fans like Bleacher Report?

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they're paid, because starting a blog on there is quite the application process, from what I can tell.

3. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

Lead bloggers for sites are paid. Editors/assistant editors for regional sites are paid. The only ones that aren't paid are the contributors to individual blogs. Those contributors being people the lead blogger finds to help out with content on the site. With that said, the lead blogger may have a system for payment for those contributors. It's different for each site.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Correct, with the added point that I believe (as of about two years ago) hits generate pay for lead bloggers. At one point, the pay was structured to be entirely hits-based, but I believe that's changed.

Also, some of the talent on SB Nation is outstanding. Tom Ziller (NBA), Spencer Hall (college football) and, most obviously, Rob Neyer (MLB) are really, really good national voices on their sports. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of inconsistency.

5. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

Essentially, depending on how popular your site is, the more you are paid. I don't think there is a set structure, though. Ex. "Get this many hits, make this much money."

Spencer Hall is a fantastic writer. Their other baseball guys are good, too: Jon Bois, Grant Brisbee and Marc Normandin, to name a few.

Draft saved Draft deleted