1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SB Nation Payscale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sam_Eith, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Sam_Eith

Sam_Eith New Member

Hey guys, I know sometimes it's hard to call SB Nation journalism. But at the same time, I'm absolutely dying with curiosity to know how much they pay. I know it varies and all that, but would anyone with experience there mind sharing kind of an idea of it? So what I'm asking is: are we talking $50 an article or $5? Wasn't sure if it would be worth pursuing for me or not.

2. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

A lot of people are going to probably tell you a lot of different things, so you won't get the answer you want (or at least, an answer).

Consider this, though: Writing probably takes you an hour, and is writing for $5 an hour - or maybe less, if it takes you longer - even worth it? I'd argue no, it wouldn't. But, you're writing, and practice always helps.

I'd also say, as an editor, any listing of SB Nation/Bleacher Report/etc. on a resume means nothing to me. I know that's slowwwwwwly changing, but you might as well put bank teller or steelworker or lumberjack on your resume. It tells me incredibly little because so many of those places are junk.

Sam_Eith likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Some of those places pay $1 per 1,000 clicks.

Sam_Eith likes this.
  4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I was offered a chance to edit one of SB Nation's blogs for $300 a month, but my freelance budget would come out of that $300. Brutal.

Sam_Eith likes this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Who in the world writes for these rags?

Sam_Eith likes this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not saying they're good, but there are worse places, just look at the jobs board and freelancer help wanted board.

Sam_Eith likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The long form under Glenn stout actually paid well. Similar in rate to say ESPN the mag. But the blogs? No idea. a labor of love for many of these writers it seems. Some of them are quite good but there's so much content that I never go there and just browse around. I go to specific team pages. $300 a month? That's fine if they only expect you to write like once or two a week. Otherwise, that's slave labor

Sam_Eith likes this.
  8. Sam_Eith

Sam_Eith New Member

Thanks, I appreciate it guys

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ask SBNation.

I'm sure the top folks do pretty well.

10. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've never understood the fascination with these stories.

I've never wanted to coach at that level. Never wanted to be in a front office. Never aspired to be "on the other side" of it.

I always thought writing about it and reporting on it was a pretty great thing all its own. I looked up to other journalists. When I admired something, it was usually how some other person got a quote or turned a phrase, not some coaching decision made.

Maybe that all began to change when sports got infused with so much money that the power that came with the money - and the fame - seemed really intoxicating to journalists.

On some level, that might be a source of some issues with journalists, especially in sports. Too many of us want to be like them. I never did. I didn't even know that many colleagues who did. But it's changed, I think. Writers view themselves as leading rather shitty lives, methinks.

12. Mr. Mediocre

Mr. Mediocre Member

SB Nation is a pyramid scheme. It has a handful of people on the top who make livable wages, and who get sent "on assignment," and then swaths of site bloggers who make between 0 and low-three digits a month.

The army of low-level bloggers inundate Google, Facebook and Twitter with content that generates the traffic needed to trickle up. Promise of one day being paid real-life money and perhaps being sent on self-indulgent field trips motivates a share of the writers. Some just use the sites the way they would message boards, as a means for their voice to be read.

But yeah. It's a pyramid scheme. That's the SB Nation payscale.

Draft saved Draft deleted