1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saying hi to famous people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jul 19, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do tell.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was she with Buster?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This guy?

[​IMG]

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/7284-23867.gif

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I once met Mickey Mouse, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, Jafar, Cinderella AND Buzz Lightyear on the same day.

They were cool. Didn't mind having their pictures taken. Not too conversational, though.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Met Johnny Rotten last month before one of his gigs with Public Image Limited. He basically stopped for a split second following arrival to the venue said "Hello" and then "Pardon me, but I have to go to work." He also reeked of marijuana.

Only other rock star encounter I can remember having is talking to Donita Sparks of L7 after a gig (not an L7 one) several years ago. She was very gracious and she seemed happy to talk about the weekly music column she was writing for Firedoglake's Web site at the time. She also has epically bad teeth.

6. highlander

highlander Member

Was at hotel in Houston and me and my buddy were at the front desk for some reason or another. My friend was wearing a RUSH concert t-shirt. The guy behind us asked him if he liked RUSH. We both turned around and said we did. He said he was personal friends with the band. Immediately my friend said "You are Warren Cromartie." And he was. He gave us an autograph, the Expos were staying at the hotel and were checking out that day. He also introduced us to their play-by-play guy Duke Snider. I still have his autograph. We got several other autographs and got blown off by Gary Carter, who I believe had pretty much a no autograph policy.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The year after George Bell was AL MVP, the publisher I worked for bought the rights to his book, "Hardball"

When the book came out, he and his brother came to Toronto to do some promotion. I had set up autographings in about ten stores so I ended up spendng a couple of days with him. Once he got over his initial mistrust of me, we hit it off spectacularly well.

The night before he was leaving there was a big televised boxing match and George wanted to see it at The House of Lancaster, a well known peeler bar and about five minutes from my house. George had them set aside a special area for him, his brother and some friends. He asked me if I wanted to join them---I said I'd be late but sure.

Walked into the place, had a big bouncer stare at me, and I got to say, for probably the only time in my life, "I'm with George Bell".

George absolutely refused to let me pay for any drinks. Had a great time

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I had a drink with NBA ref Bennett Salvatore in a hotel bar after a playoff game a few years ago. Nice dude.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

In the 70s I met a professional athlete at a house party.

A half hour later there was a commotion outside and it was the athlete beating the crap out of some guy in the driveway.

No TMZ or cellphones in those days.

10. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Within the past week I've bumped into OchoCinco smoking a cigar and Richard Kind of Spin City looking pretty disheveled wondering around Times Square.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Two of my favorite brushes with greatness happened to my wife.

We were in Ditka's after a Cubs game a few year ago - I know, touristy as hell but it was right by the hotel and we just wanted a few beers - Anyway, she sees Ditka on the stairs on her way back from the ladies room and the following conversation ensues without either one of them breaking stride:

"Hi Coach."
    (Ditka notices she's wearing a Cubs shirt) "You go to the game today?"
    "Yes."
    "Did they win?"
    "No."
    "Figures."

When she was in high school she worked a concert venue here and she's eating dinner in the dining room before a Guns N Roses show. Not really paying attention she hears a guy ask if the seat across from her is taken. Without looking up she says it's open. Guy sits down and as she looks up she says, "Are you with the band"

She finds herself staring at Slash and immediately says, "Oh, I guess you are."

She said he was a pretty cool dude.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

AQB ... you know your wife is cool and you totally out-kicked your coverage, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted