1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saying hi to famous people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Was in line at the coffee shop at the Mirage a couple years back, grabbing a muffin and some tea before my meeting. The line was pretty long, and I noticed one of my co-workers near the end. I waved him up to where I was and said I'd pick up what he wanted.

A deep voice behind me said he didn't think that line jumping was allowed. I turned back and...looked waay up to see Brad Garrett behind me. Wasn't sure if he was making a joke or not, so I said, "It's OK Brad, he's Canadian." After a quick second, he said, "Well I guess that's alright then."

We all had a laugh, shook hands and went our separate ways after getting pastries and caffeine.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Tried to post it from my phone, but I guess it didn't work.
    As we walked out, one of the people at the guy's table walked out. I recognized him - but had no idea what his name was.
    It was John Carroll Lynch, who played Drew Carey's cross-dressing brother on the Drew Carey Show and has had a bunch of small parts in some big flicks (Shutter Island, Zodiac). Only found that out thanks to my IMDB app on my phone. It didn't load quick enough to get the filmography, but I got a name.
    As I was walking to my car, he came walking back to the car, I stopped him, said I was a big fan of the Drew Carey Show - not a lie; I am/was. He was super polite. I asked what he was doing in Providence; turns out their filming some TV show. As we walked, as mentioned briefly, "was that Simon Baker with you?"
    Turns out it's some cat named Nicholas Sparks, who - teamed with an English accent - looks enough like him to confuse me.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

You mean Nicholas Sparks, author of The Notebook?
    [​IMG]

4. Rhody31

No, kokane, I misspoke. I mean Nicholas Bishop, or this guy:
    [​IMG]
    Who I thought was this guy:
    [​IMG]

By the way, I just realized I fucked up huge.
    There was a black woman with them, but I didn't look to see who it was because I was so certain the blond guy was Simon Baker.
    Since I didn't see her, I can't guarantee, but since it looks like it was a cast get-together, it was Kima from The Wire.
    Fuck, fuck, fuck. An actress on the best show ever made and I didn't see her because I was obsessed with some guy from some movie I am obsessed about.

EDIT: Double fuck. Another guy in the group was 100 percent Geoffrey Arend, aka the kid who ate mushroom in the opening scene of Super Troopers. Now I'm pissed.

Here's the rest of the cast - no Jeri Ryan sighting:
    http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/05/body-of-proof-pilot-promotional-and.html

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you'd told me Dana Delany was there (was she?) I'd have told you to tell her I loved her guest spot on Castle. :D

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Damn, that dude does look like Simon Baker.

7. Rhody31

Problem was, he had a beard going, so it really threw me off. I heard the accent and wikipediaed the shit out of simon baker. Once i read Baker was australian, figured I was right. The nose threw me off, but I saw a photo of baker where his nose looked similar.
    Very happy that I didn't say hi.
    Hoping I run down there again and see Shima and the Mushroom kid so I can actually say something intelligent.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SCREW THAT! THAT'S THE MILLER HIGH LIFE GUY!

That's way bigger than anyone else!

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Geoffrey Arend? That lucky bastard is married to Christina Hendricks.

10. Rhody31

Yeah, pretty sure he was the bald, stocky black guy who was sitting with them
    I hate myself right now.
    Stupid Simon Baker and his dreamy hair.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I think it would have been hilarious if you went up to that guy and said "Love you in The Mentalist" ... I mean, not hilarious for you, but would have loved to know the reaction.

12. Rhody31

Don't think she was ijag; it was a sausage fest except for Kima.

Draft saved Draft deleted