1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say it ain't so Eddie Murray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 17, 2012.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What about Kiko Garcia's role in this? He would receive DeCinces' insider stock emails in his left hand and forward them to Murray with his right, all while avoiding the breakup slide from Lloyd Moseby.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yeah, that's more fair than calling him an asshole. dude just didn't like answering questions.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Eddie Murray had to be begged to do interviews after hitting his 400th home run.
    He just didn't get it.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

He got it. He didn't give a fuck what reporters wrote or said.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

By the late '80s, there was no possible way that Eddie Murray would not be a Hall of Famer, so he didn't need the media.
    But he was a grouchy jerk and wore that well.
    He was an asshole to people. Same thing.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Always said I preferred the guys who blew off everyone, all the time, so that you could save time, effort and face by skipping them in the clubhouse or locker room. Steve Carlton had it down, George Hendrick too, from reports of how they handled media interest. The guys who blew hot and cold, or would talk to a national media outlet but not a regional one, or were approachable every other Wednesday but not the other days ... they were and are the pains in the rump. 'Cuz you had to keep trying, never sure which sort of day it was in their heads/moods.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I always get him mixed up with Eddie Money when having a conversation about 70s/80s music. Same thing happens when I'm talking about Vince Young and accidentaly say Vince Neil. Not quite the same person.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never spoken to him or Rice, but I've been lucky enough to hear beat writers who covered both tell some pretty great stories about what assholes both were.

I get the sense Albert Belle is this generation's equivalent. Maybe Bonds too, although my lone one-on-one experience with Bonds was very positive, but I know I got lucky. The Belle stories I've heard are far worse than anything I heard about Rice or Murray.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

George Hendrick was cool. He'd talk to you about anything. He just didn't want it for print.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The worst guys are the ones who never talk to the local guys but as soon as someone from ESPN or SI or one of the other national sites or papers comes in, they start becoming the nicest guy ever.

I can respect a guy who doesn't ever talk to anyone ever...

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's too bad Eddie never wanted to talk, really. He's a bright guy who understood the game and would have provided more insight than most players. He can be pretty funny when he gets going, too.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Murray loosen up later? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Draft saved Draft deleted