1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say goodbye to the Fighting Sioux

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 14, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mark, having covered NCAA hockey, I'm well aware.

But it's also not a situation the NCAA likes, very much.

And staying DII simply isn't a viable option for North Dakota.

SDSU, NDSU, USD, Northern Colorado, etc. have all made the jump up. Morningside went down to D-III.

That leaves Augustana, Minnesota State, Minnesota Duluth and St. Cloud State, who I think ended up in the Northern Sun.

There's no more NCC, no people to play for hundreds of miles of open prairie.

@ Big Circus -- Sioux means "snake", and was a derogatory term other natives had for the people of the region, IIRC. They go by Dakota and Lakota, respectively.

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Score another so-called sensitivity-driven, Politically Correct point for the SDSU and NCAA. Idiotic!!!!

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Won't happen. The Seminole Tribe of Florida¹ and the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma not only support the university's right to use the nickname, members of the Florida tribe design and stitch the regalia worn by the student mascot.
    That's the folks who never surrendered to the U.S. military and bought the Hard Rock Cafe lock, stock and guitar for $965 million in late 2006.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What do they call North Dakota State? Pwners?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bingo. The tribe of Lakota closest to Grand Forks have no problem with the name, as evidenced by their 2-1 vote in favor of keeping the nickname.

The Lakota at Standing Rock, which is about an hour south of Bismarck and far, far away from Grand Forks and the university, must figure they won't be able to cash in, so they won't even take the chance of holding a vote and having the rest of the state or country discover they may not speak for the tribe in general if the vote doesn't go their way.

This will not be a popular decision in North Dakota.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Bison.

I propose "Fight and Sue," which they've been doing on this for far too long.

As an alumnus of a university whose mascot is a letter (a 'flying C') because their nickname is that of a Native American tribe and doesn't have a problem with it, I figure that in this day and age, if you're going to name yourself after something human, you'd damn well have the humans' approval, because seriously, what's the point?

It's the name of a sports team, guys, not life or death, and every time the issue comes up, a bunch of crochety alumni use it as proof that the so-called 'PC Police' are ruining America and threaten to never donate again, so the school blows all sorts of money they could actually use on education (or the sports themselves) to fight it to the death. I'm just tired of it.

If anything, UND can turn this into a plus by making everyone buy new stuff, like pro teams do by introducing a new third jersey every two weeks.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

WFW.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

This isn't about the university or even the NCAA. If the Native Americans in that area don't support the nickname, it should be replaced. Period. I'm ambivalent on generic names.. like Indians and Warriors....I find Redskins offensive.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's more complicated than that.

There are two tribes that need to vote on the name. Of the two, the closest to the university and with more reason to identify with the name approved it. The second tribe's leaders refuse to allow a vote, and most assume that is because they know the name would be approved if submitted to the members.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And that is the heart of the matter.

That applies equally to both sides of the argument.

11. jps

jps Active Member

been mentioned already, but the hockey facilities/money for said facilities is dependent on the name. the place is a palace. it's unbelievable. and, while it's been a while, pretty much remember seeing the logo everywhere. so when it's said that the school will be making money on this ... don't think so.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

My old man played football and baseball at NDSU for two years before finishing up at Minnesota, Slap.

I wanna say the Bison beat the Gophers on the football field last year or the year before.

Or as Carl Spackler would say, 'Aha ... It's the gopher!"

Draft saved Draft deleted