1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Say Fred, hear the one about the Jew, the Catholic and the colored women who go golfing..."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 24, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

On the opposite end, coming back from a retreat on a Sat. so decided to tee it up on 1:30 pm Sat with some people from the retreat, bonding and all. 4:15 PM, we have finished .........8 holes. Brutal; there was one par 3 with 4 groups on the hole. That's not golf, that's bumper cars. As we head towards #9, I see #1 wide open and say I'm taking off and playing the front 9 again. Missed the back 9 but finished that 9 in under 2 hours. Sat PM golf is the worst on a public course (and this was a semi-private course.)

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Everyone's at dinner?

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You are one of the oddest birds I’ve ever interacted with. Ketchup on steak, non-electronic car windows, five-club golf bag...

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Your car windows have Netflix or just the standard radio stuff?

lcjjdnh likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He puts his steak on the grill before he leaves for the golf course, and it is grilled to perfection when he comes home.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And of course there's the tradition of having a group let you through, then when you tee off in front of them you thank them by rushing ... and hitting a terrible shot. There should be a USGA rule that you can't take worse than a bogey in that situation.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You don't even know the half of it.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

1. Don't make eye contact.

2. Walk quickly to the cart or your bag.

3. Start saying something to your playing partners that makes you sound like you do not take your game too seriously and this in no way will damage you psychologically.

This is my strategy to cut through the shame.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is why, when invited to play through, my response is usually, "nah. I'm good."

Donny in his element and Hermes like this.
  10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

It's this pressure that ruins the game for me.

Hell, I'm fine with spending $75 or more at a theme park to stand in lines for hours. At least at that price at the course I can drink and wear cool shoes.

Actually, sounds like I'd rather be bowling.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Are you OK with rolling on Shabbos?

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Should probably do that after the......what have you.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted