1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Say Fred, hear the one about the Jew, the Catholic and the colored women who go golfing..."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 24, 2018.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

@hondo,

This is a real redneck dipshit section of the state. Think booths at the county fair selling Confederate flag t-shirts and bikinis. Shit, think county fairs. There's a better than good chance these people saw an increase in business from this stunt.

wicked likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't disagree with No. 2. But I do remember when I called my local muni for a Wednesday morning tee time once ...

"I can get you out at 9, but I'm just telling you that you'll be behind three groups from our 60-and-over ladies league."
    "OK, what do you have Thursday morning?"

doctorquant likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

I play as a single 90-percent of the time since I usually just run to the course after work to try and squeeze in nine. It's been my experience that both genders play slow.

Groups of women play slow because they don't hit the ball as far so it takes them longer. Not their fault.

Men play slower because they watch too much TV. Plum bobbing, and crouching down looking at the line and practice stroke and practice stroke and.... taking 10 minutes on a green to line up their four-putt.

Neither group lets faster groups - or seething singles who have been crawling up their rectums for the last five holes - play through.

doctorquant likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The whole "let faster players/groups through" etiquette ... when did that get abandoned?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm personally offended.

Iron_chet and doctorquant like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

Just another example of society becoming less polite and respectful. I started out playing 22 years ago by buying a set of clubs and developing a swing from observation. I didn't have the cash or time for golf lessons. I'd play nine at the nearby muni at times when I knew it wouldn't be crowded so as to not have my shitty play slow up others. Even then I still looked like a third base coach waiving groups behind me through. And back then if you had a good single player behind you groups let them through to not have them up your ass all afternoon.

Now? No one cares.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was never embraced by the "hey, we're playing PGA Tour out here, so we're looking for lost balls for five minutes" bunch.

There's one course where I used to play a lot. No. 4, short par 4, you either hit it to about 210 and have a 8/9 iron in, or you carry about 260 over a waste area and you have 15-20 yard pitch into the green (or perhaps drive the green, though that took about 310 with a roll. Worst hole on the course because every other asshole though they could carry 260. Every other asshole could not. So not only would they wait until the group in front had reached the green, some would wait until the group in front had cleared the green, and then, a few minutes later, there they'd be, down in the waste area. (Which, though not a hazard, was so overgrown and yucky that you really couldn't play out of it.)

What a hole.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

FTFY

Alma and doctorquant like this.
  9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be in the golf biz if you can't do something about slow play without the police. When you run into a starter on the first tee that gives you a lecture that says, in essence, 'We don't have a slow-play problem here, so don't you be the ones starting it,' you can almost always guarantee a pace that makes the day a miserable experience.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You guys should beg to play behind me. I don't know if anyone plays faster than me, apart from maybe Happy Gilmore. You will also learn some fun new words.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

You and I should pair up. Bet we could finish 18 in under three hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted