1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw VI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Sep 29, 2009.

1. This article makes it sound like another Saw is not a lock based on the box office:

http://movies.msn.com/the-wrap/paranormal-tops-box-office/story/?GT1=28101

And this one thinks the story is out of steam:

http://movie-critics.ew.com/2009/10/23/the-saw-series-can-it-bring-the-pain-forever/?xid=partner-CNNHome-%27Saw%27%3A+Is+jig+up+for+Jigsaw%3F

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Even so, you have to think $14.8 million is about 14.8 times what it cost to make.

3. True, and for the record, I've enjoyed the story as a whole and hope it gets to come to its natural conclusion. I just hope they do that rather than dragging it out until they absolutely cannot make another dollar.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just wanted to say you can all go to hell.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Why?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I watched Saw last night (well the first 72 minutes before Megavideo or whatever it was said I had to wait 54 minutes or pay to get unlimited movies) and I then stayed up until 7 a.m. so my apartment was fully lit before I went to bed. I have a feeling 7 a.m. just became my default bedtime.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well....what did you think?

:)

8. NDub

NDub Guest

I believe the Saw movies are the best horror series of all-time. I really like them. The style and concept is so unique.

SPOILERS

That being said, I wasn't a big fan of VI. Probably my least favorite of the series.

A lot of the backstory seemed to be forced. The tie-ins were almost written just to show the viewer, "Hey we can make this connection here just for the hell of it!" For example, Amanda was with the crackhead who smashed Jill Tuck (MILF) and killed her unborn baby in IV. What's the point of that? I mean, I know it was to show that Hoffman had something to blackmail her with, but I thought it was dumb and forced.

I didn't like how they played up in the previous few movies his ex-wife to be an innocent woman completely out of the loop this whole time. She was pregnant (we had to feel bad for her when she got hurt), a pretty woman, and broken-hearted that her husband went off the deep end. Then they drop this bomb on us that she's in on it. She even put the torture device on Hoffman. C'mon, man. Seriously. Why?!?!?!?

I did like the health care tie-in. Very apropos for the times. Most people who get declined aren't genius engineers with a sick way of teaching lessons, but that's what makes this series so good.

The opening scene was probably the best of all of them.

I've found that watching these a second and third time help me catch some connections/mindfucks/etc. that didn't quite make sense or I simply overlooked the first time. Maybe that'll happen with VI. But I just feel this one was forced and the writers have stretched the story arc too far. I hope VII ends it all and they don't destroy this series by stretching it out further than it already has.

2 fingers out of 5.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Killer ending, huh?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't worry IJAG. It's just pretend. There's nobody out there like Jigsaw, a serial killer with code and ethics and a selective sense of who he'll kill.

And if he does he probably doesn't target people with bad credit.

Probably. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted