1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saw Iron Man last night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 29, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

That's the only reason I went, and I was underwhelmed.

I guess you could say for a superhero movie, it's better than most, but to me they didn't break the mold enough to make me like the genre.

Which, I understand, is a matter of taste, and I've got nothing against people who like that genre.

But my indifference kind of made it pointless for me to stick around for the 45-minute credit sequence, because the eventual surprise meant bupkis to me, beyond the fact there will be a sequel I won't see.

SEMI-SPOILER BELOW

I agree with the guy who said they should have played up the "Iron Man" riff more. The James Bond movie, which ended pretty much the same way, did it a lot better.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Haha...you're welcome.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Haven't seen it yet, but as I said before, the casting of Robert Downey Jr. was inspired for this character.

"We need someone who can play a pompous rich jerk who drinks too much and has the potential to descend into alcoholism, but who is also a solid actor."

Marvel's casting - aside from ben Affleck as Daredevil - has been pretty spot on. This was as good a decision as Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think it's one advantage of CGI in that, unlike back when Lou Ferrigno was painted green because he was jacked, studios can look for the actor who best fits the character, not the actor who looks most like the character. When suited up, they're going to be replaced by CGI anyway, so the physical aspect isn't nearly as important as the acting.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

sticking around through all of those credits felt like a waste of time. great flick but that extra couple of seconds at the end wasn't worth it.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I felt the same way. I had my two kids with me and when the credits were FINALLY done and they showed the scene, my daughter said, "That's it?!!! We hung around for that?!!" She was not a happy camper.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Good movie, but could Downey and Gwyneth have any less chemistry?

8. You know there was something bothering me about the movie and I couldn't figure it out but I think you put your finger on it.

I could buy Downey as the alcoholic billionaire but not at all as the love interest. Gwyneth has always been a mystery to me - I just don't see the big deal - but I don't blame her. I don't think Downey is a good enough actor (and he's great) to make people believe he loves anyone but himself. Downey is just not a sympathetic character - which is why the gag about him first trying to fly worked so well. People wanted to see him get hurt.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Gone. Wiped. Erased. Lawyered out of existence.

Found: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_cc00XMjYzODQwMDg=.html (MAJOR SPOILER)

10. Loved. Went in with low expectations and was presently suprised. Brilliant casting with Robert Downey Jr. Who better to play a *reformed* superhero?

Usually I hate films with plot lapses. (There are too many to start with) But still, I didn't react negatively to the film, because despite the many implausiblities there were so many cool lines ("I'm doing a piece for Vanity Fair" -- Vanity Fair must have snobbily turned down their product placement offer) that it supercedes the leaps in reality one must make.

Like Transformers, it was way beyond expectations. I love movies that don't just cater to the testosterone urges of the teens and pre-teens, but include some above-the-head dialogue that soars right past them and into the laugh belly of us older folks.

11. I definitely missed that part. Though I'm not into comics as much, I still check out all the comic movies I think are worth seeing. I like to be entertained and action movies can do that.

I thought it got a little ridiculous towards the end, but overall it was a solid movie. More tha solid, IMO. Were there things that could have been done better? Of course, but these are popcorn, summer season movies and that's just the way they are. This isn't Crash or No Country For Old Men. Those serve a different purpose and are great movies. But in this comic book genre, Iron Man is a great movie. Obviously 100x better than the first Hulk, Daredevil and The Punisher.

Glad to see Marvel take control of its own brand. They are headed in the right direction.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

looking forward to seeing the film in a year on cable. as for gwyneth, i think she's a lovely actress. but she's not, in any way, a sensual actress. i don't recall any film she's been in where i thought there was "chemistry" between her and a castmate. i find her somewhat asexual.

Draft saved Draft deleted