1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saving a file as a PDF

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I'm taking three courses online this semester, and one of my professors only accepts PDF attachments for assignments, but my version of Word (2003 Office for Mac) doesn't save documents as PDFs. Does anyone know of a patch or freeware download that allows you to save a .doc as a .pdf?

2. http://www.openoffice.org/

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Or, if you don't want to download stuff, there's a free online service.

http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

OpenOffice worked perfectly.

You see, this is why SportsJournalists.com is so great.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Can you not click print, but instead of printing save it as a PDF?

6. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Also, if you are using word, just go up to file, then print and you should find an option on your print menu that says pdf. Just click that and you can save it to where ever you like (desktop, folder, wherever) and then you can attach it as needed. That is if you are using a Mac, which I'm going to assume you are.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Um ... yes. I can save as a pdf off the print menu. And, no, I did not know that until just now.
    As usual, this all was much easier than I made it out to be.
    Oh well. On the bright side, I learned something new today.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Also a piece of cake in Quark.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, if you're using Word 2003, choose File and Print.
    When your print monitor comes up, choose PDF. It seems weird but it is only saving the Word document as a PDF. It is not actually printing any hard copy.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

That's because a PDF isn't so much a document as it a digital hard-copy. You can't edit PDFs, so they are essentially the same as scanning in a paper document.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with PDFs. I'm trying to clarify for someone who might be confused.
    PDFs are also editable depending on how they were created and the software with which you open them.

Draft saved Draft deleted