1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Save the NYTimes by killing sports section?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Nov 6, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of them bloggers ruminates on saving the NY Times.
    Here's his post
    USA Today sports is better than the Times. Really? I don't believe that to be right.

Anyhoo, here's the link
    http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2009/11/how-to-save-the-new-york-times.html

The comments are pretty good and worth a look. Here's one that stood out.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe that for a second. I get the national NYT every day, there's always a story or two in there worth my time, maybe even on something I shouldn't be remotely interested in. USA Today is good to get caught up on the wins and losses everywhere, but it doesn't pass the "give me something to read" smell test every day.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Alan Schwarz's work on the NFL concussion issue has been nothing less than extraordinary.

4. With all due respect to the USA Today peeps, the quality of writing at the NYT dwarfs USA Today

5. Babs

Babs Member

There are some specific sports where the USA Today beats the NY Times. If you happen to be into one of those sports, I can see how you'd make such a comment.

Not that it's universally true though.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's very little actual writing in USA Today unless you want to categorize five grafs of declarative sentences as writing.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fire Mo Dowd and Bill Rhoden. Save zillions, right off the reel.

Draft saved Draft deleted