1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Save the Hall of Fame game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Exactly. Amateur teams, minor league teams, high school or Legion teams--I think they'd all find it a hoot to play there, where the majors (understandably) want nothing to do with it.

Yet another example of the Selig mis-administration failing to see a rather obvious solution, and instead just dealing with a broken finger by cutting off their arm.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I was in Cooperstown during the HOF weekend last year and "the purity of the game" was drowned out by the hordes of dorks carrying autographed bats in plastic tubes and the like. The townsfolk make out good with $30 parking. Can't blame 'em.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

(God help me, I loved that cheesy Indian on top of that old ballpark).

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It is now on display at the Western Reserve Historical Society. He bats lefty now, though.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A better idea would be to fix up the balpark to Class A standards and move the Batavia Muckdogs of the NY-P League there. Batavia is an absolute hole and with so many baseball fans in town all summer C-town would be perfect for that level of play.

Yes, it's close to Oneonta. So what. Auburn N.Y. had an NYP League franchise for years (still might) and that's a stone's throw from Syracuse.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Having a minor-league team there would be best, but an Old-Timers Game would be the next-best solution.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Auburn does. I believe it's called the Doubledays, IIRC, without looking it up.

And to reply to an earlier post, it would be cool to have the Sox there, but it's better to rotate it every year. Why not give the two teams a day off before and a day off after... at least they could make it nicer, if a team doesn't want to go right from one city to Cooperstown back out right away for another series.

Something could (and SHOULD) be done.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nah. No one gives a shit.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Apparently not. :mad:

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

At least Bud didn't say they should have a game there to determine home-field advantage for the World Series.

Dump the game.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Thanks... I think. ::)

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dump it. Or make it part of the Induction Weekend festivities.

Only reason MLB teams participated in in-season exhibition games in the first place was because money could be made for the owners and players didn't have a say in it. That's not the case now. (Even back then, "stars" would only show up for 1 or 2 at-bats and then split.)

The past can be easy to romanticize, but not this. It was a farce to begin with. Dump it.

Draft saved Draft deleted