1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Savannah Morning News Sports Reporter opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Jun 19, 2007.

1. And I thought I lived in a pricey place.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mine's about $3200 less. But I also wouldn't tell them that if I interviewed. :)

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Hahaha, good advice!

4. I heard the vacant position is the preps beat. Haven't heard who is going to fill the Sand Gnats beat.

They've got an Executive SE, Assistant SE, columnist, Georgia Southern writer, Savannah State writer and they're looking to fill their preps and Sand Gnats positions. And they've got two or three sports designers.

It's a strong staff with many years of experience. Just about everyone in that shop has won national and state awards.

I'm sure they'll fill the preps beat first and then look to shore up the minor league baseball beat.

5. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

The opening is for preps, focus on the city and the two neighboring counties. Good hoops. Bad football.

Staff is great and very experienced. Sports editor Anthony Stastny is an easy guy to work for.

Savannah is a great place to live, and the money will be commisserate to experience. They aren't going to pay an experienced writer $25K a year.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Do you mean commensurate, or did you put commisserate on purpose?

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Notice that it's the city and the two surrounding counties the preps beat will hit. That limits it from the 50-60 high schools where the SMN circulates to really only worrying about 15 at most, including the private schools in Sav'h.

Draft saved Draft deleted