1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saunas/Steamrooms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jan 6, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

While I figured this could go in the weight loss thread, I figured it was unique enough to start a new thread.

After some research online, I'm still wondering if saunas or steam rooms actually offer any health benefits. I'm on a pretty big weight-loss kick, and I love the sauna after workout, but I don't want to give myself any false illusions about the benefits.

Anyone have any real opinion or thought on the matter?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If it's good enough for Salman Rushdie, it's good enough for me.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You won't lose any weight with it. Whatever is "lost" is really just water weight which will come back almost instantly.

I use the steam room, or sauna if I have more time, after working out to relax the muscles a bit.

They are healthy, but they don’t impact weight loss at all.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nice place to ponder if they're real and/or spectacular.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I love the Seinfeld references on this thread.

I never bought into the sauna/weight loss thing. However, it is a great post-workout treatment. The salon I go to just branched out into a fitness center (yoga, spinning, pilates, zumba, kettlebell) and opened an infrared heat therapy unit - same principle as a sauna but great for muscle relaxation.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love the steam room, but it does not help you lose weight.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Great place to go if you're paranoid that your friends are wearing a wire.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

What about the other benefits? I was more talking about the toxins it "releases," or if that's BS as well. A friend swears that the release of the extra perspiration acts as another filter for the body, but he's also a big holistic medicine guy.

9. standman

standman Member

Like I tell my wife all the time, if hot tubs and saunas really contributed to weight loss, wouldn't every overweight person in the country be lined up in front of health clubs with bathing suits and towels?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know about weight loss, but my old gym had a steam room. Everytime I felt a cold coming on, I'd go in for about 30 minutes and sweat the cold out.
    I don't know from a medical standpoint if it worked, but I felt fantastic because the cold went away.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm with Jay. I had a sinus infection I couldn't shake a while back and I started taking the hottest showers with the window open — it creates a sauna/steam room effect. After two showers a day for three days, the infection was gone — or at least the mucous was. Nothing else worked.

And now, my shoulder is KILLING ME. I think it's from sitting at my computer or the long drive I made Saturday. Anyway, I let the hot water spray right on it and crank up the steam and I'm good to go.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you believe the letters in Penthouse, coed saunas and steamrooms can be fun with added benefits ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted