1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi royal boasts of changing Fox News coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

YF, based on that map, no Jews seem to live in Israel.

Also, lots of Orthodox Christians hail from that part of the world, you map doesn't seem to reflect that either.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Have either bragged in an open forum about keeping it from being released?

But, hey, keep throwing up smokescreens to defend Faux News.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't draw the may, Jay.

By Israel looks lighter than the rest of the area to me.

And there are communities of Orthodox Christians in the Middle East, but they are very small and growing smaller.

Regardless, I don't think there's any argument that Algeria, Morocco, etc. are about 99% Muslim.

4. YankeeFan

Where did I defend it?

If I'm home, I'll watch Special Report. That's about the only time I watch FoxNews.

If I have news on in the background, it's MSNBC.

Now, tell me what news source you trust? Who's better, fairer, more accurate, and more ethical that FOX?

They're all compromised.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

None of the other networks are the bought-and-paid-for PR arm of the Republican Party, YF. You can argue, if you wish, about the so-called "liberal bias" of the other outlets. But the conservative bias of Fox is pretty much undeniable.

6. YankeeFan

I haven't defended FoxNews.

I criticized their actions related to the story that Inky posted.

They're mostly cheerleaders.

They're the opposite side of the same coin as MSNBC.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Were they rioting because they're Muslim?

Were American riots in Newark or Watts or Detroit caused by Christianity?

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Not to jump in on a political thread, but I don't see much hand-wringing over the more obvious bias of MSNBC, which has become the news channel of choice for political leftists as much as FNC has become the news channel of choice for political right-wingers.

A couple of years ago, the right-wing opinion magazine National Review had a picture of Obama hugging the NBC logo, but the gist of the story was that Keith Olbermann was influencing a lot of the content on MSNBC and there were signs of the wall between MSNBC (and its obvious opinion) and NBC News breaking down. It's subscriber-only, but the cover image was of a peacock eating out of Obama's hand.

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/?q=MjAwODA5MTU=

9. YankeeFan

A big part of the problem is that they have not been integrated into French society.

A large part of that is their own reluctance to integrate into French society.

And that's because Islam -- or at least Sharia law -- is not compatible with French society.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

MSNBC may tilt left. But no way are they anywhere near as bad as Fox.

Try again.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So a 30% unemployment rate among young people had nothing to do with it? Or racism? Or the suspicious deaths of a couple of teenagers?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

MSNBC clearly made a conscious decision to move left to counter Fox, and CNN swings depending on the issue and who's onscreen at the time. If I'm watching any of them, it's usually (a) Fox when Shep Smith is anchoring, or (b) CNN with the sound off.

But please, let's not defend Fox as just the other side of the coin of the other networks. CNN was created to cover news 24 hours a day. MSNBC was created to cover news. You may not like the way they do it, but that was the objective. Fox was created to be a mouthpiece for the Republican Party. It was created by a Republican media consultant. It never set out to be anything but a PR outlet for the Republican Party.

A friend of mine was an up and coming star there - he was essentially their top west coast correspondent and moving up. He's also a staunch Republican. He quit Fox News without another job lined up, because it angered him that each day began with upper management sending out a memo detailing which stories were to be covered that day and how the reporters were assigned to slant them. He didn't become a journalist to be a political PR flak, even if it was a political view he supported. Fox hides behind the argument that it does straight news during the day and has opinion shows at night. It's not true.

There are things that Fox does pretty well. At non-political breaking news it usually kicks CNN's ass. Plus, Shep Smith may be the best anchor on television, and he's good about calling out the slanted bullshit that reporters occasionally slip in. But please, don't pretend it's a news channel that leans a little right. It's a Republican channel that leans a little news.

Draft saved Draft deleted