1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi gang-rape victim is whipped and jailed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 15, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a huge gap between violently punishing the victim of a rape and having the death penalty for actual criminals.

And JR, it's statements like this one by you that Junkie was talking about on the other thread. Not that I agree with Junkie on much of anything, but I understand where he was coming from on your attitude regarding the United States.

2. As sure as the sun rises in the East, JR will check (or is that cheque?) in with some such comment. I realize this is not uncommon among many of your countrymen, but it certainly isn't an admirable trait.

3. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

We invaded Iraq for oil. We can't invade Saudi because of Mecca also Iraq probably has more oil left in it right now anyway.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We also seem to have the death penalty for lots of people who didn't actually commit the crime as well. But, in fairness, most of them looked pretty shady to begin with.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Easy solution to the whole problem (and I mean Mideast-West relations): pull out all U.S. interests in the entire region, Israel included. If they want to multilate their women, repeal constitutions and bomb each other into oblivion, so be it. In a few years, there should be the means to survive almost oil-free.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, there's an idea.

I can't wait to visit Tel Aviv after we pull all our support.

Come on, man. Shit's WAY more complicated than that.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, such as the oil company honchos ordering a hit on you for even suggesting such a thing before the wells run dry.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Indeed. We can't possibly afford to invade another Middle East country anyways.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hell, maybe we can just follow Tancredo's advice and bomb Mecca and Medina! ::)

Friggin' nutball.

10. I agree. In fact, we should have minded our own business in Kosovo. Don't you think?

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm no fan of the Mustache of TruthTM, but the turn this thread has taken put me in mind of his latest. Would a $1/gallon gas tax get us out of the Middle East? Perhaps if the M o TTM hadn't been so hot for the War (a point strangely not mentioned here), he coulda spent some time on selling us on it six years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/14/opinion/14friedman.html?em&ex=1195275600&en=91a7b76cac8d6532&ei=5087%0A

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, actually the death penalty is worse because there's this nasty little thing called executing innocent victims

I was merely responding to one of Abbot's usual anti-Muslim threads. You know, glass houses and all that.

And then of course, Lyman jumps in accusing me of anti-Americanism and goes on about "installing a democracy in Saudi Arabia"--proving my point about one's own backyard.

And then people show up advocating the invasion of Saudi Arabia.

Yup, all the big brains at work on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted