1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SATC: The Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, May 6, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Finally saw it today. Theater still packed, even in the middle of the day of the second weekend. Still mostly women in the audience.

Watching this movie is like flipping through those women's magazines like Vogue or Cosmo or Medmoiselle. It's full of pretty pictures, great clothes, beautiful people, great shots of NYC. And then there's all your old friends, back and looking pretty. Even though hardly any of them really have anything to do.

The movie had nothing to say and pretty much nothing for anyone to do other than stand around and wear great clothes and look pretty. It's just like a Disney kids movie where they create all this drama in the middle but everyone's happy in the end and you know all along where they're going to end up.

It's the perfect women's fantasy movie.

2. Me and Mrs. Omar went tonight. Mrs. Omar's a huge SATC fan. Huge. Has the whole run of episodes on DVD, took the Sex And The City tour in NYC, et cetera.

She thought it was good. Not great, but good. Found the Jennifer Hudson character to be a little bit obtrusive. It felt like a Hollywood "let's give her a black friend" plug-in type of deal.

She keeps telling me I remind her of Harry. I am neither bald nor Jewish, but she claims once I see the TV episodes with him, I'll understand.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Michael Phillips is the guy who is going to be the permanent No. 2 guy with Roeper. They've had rotating critics for awhile, but Phillips and A.O. Scott from the NYT have been the best by far.

For awhile, they were doing it with celebrities, which was just dreadful.

I hope this isn't Roeper pushing Ebert out. Maybe it's Ebert finally admitting that he's never going to be healthy enough to come back on the air.

I have a feeling someone is pushing someone out. I wonder if Ebert owns the rights to "thumbs up, thumbs down" and isn't letting them use it, or maybe he has ownership of the show and Roeper is pulling away since Ebert hasn't been on the show for a couple years.

I like Roeper, but it is sad. Ebert is a legend.

4. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Ebert is a legend.

As for the movie, a woman dragged me to it yesterday. It was pretty awful, and I haven't minded the TV show when I've been forced to watch it in the past.

The plot, insofar as it exists, is predictable. The Samantha subplot makes no sense, and the resolution of it is truly baffling. (The only character who devolves rather than evolves, and the only woman over 50 still trying to "figure herself out"? Hopefully she figures it out soon.) The Miranda subplot was also horrible -- the key moment was rushed and choppy, and its resolution was cheesy and predictable.

Overall a major waste of two and a half hours. The woman I went with "liked it" but you could tell she wasn't bowled over. I imagine true SATC fans will like it because it felt like 30 minutes of material stretched to 2.5 hours.

As a side note, I told her that the movie would have been 10 times better if they ended it with the women in Mexico, with Carrie being spoonfed by Samantha. That would have at least been interesting and provocative.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read a review that gives away every spoiler. It sounds pretty awful.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No suprise - I loved it.

There was one scene in particular where I cried (felt myself tearing up in others).

The end was hokey - very cliched. But the rest of it made up for it. I'll probably see it again.

The trailer for 'He's Just Not That Into You' looks pretty good, too.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Just finished watching. So forced, so contrived, so pathetic. They should have left us all wondering what happened to the four of them.

Ugh ... two hours of my life. Poof!

Draft saved Draft deleted