1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sark ties one on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 23, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It looks serious. USC should worry.

Stewart MandelVerified account‏@slmandel
    One of the supporting points in Sark's lawsuit is that a Bleacher Report writer gave him A+ for his coaching job vs. ASU.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So he's planning to fuckin' Fight On.

LongTimeListener and murphyc like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You think? Mike Leach got hired again.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Would you hire him?

If you fire him he may sue over his "disability".

exmediahack likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't hire him. But every coach who gets fired for cause seems to challenge it in the courts, so this is hardly disqualifying.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mike Price got hired again. But he ruined his career path.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

USC might be in trouble because of that initial decision to let him go to rehab and work through it then fire him, what was it, 24 hours later? Coming to work drunk/under the influence and embarrassing a school/an organization is a fireable offense. He was rightfully fired, but the mishandling of it for that brief "he's going to rehab; no, we're going to fire him" could cost the university.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Haden fucked USC right in the ass with his statement that Sark "isn't well," made when the firing was announced. Whether you believe alcoholism is an illness or a weakness, that comment showed he considers it an illness. You don't say something like that when you're firing someone for cause.

Haden also screwed the pooch with the suspension for him to get help before the season, followed by letting him return despite him not getting help. He should have remained suspended until he completed an in-patient program at a facility, then allowed to return only if he signed an agreement that allowed for random testing and a firing for cause if he drinks a drop of alcohol.

I'm sure this will be settled and not go to court, but if it is and all these people who knew he was a drunk at Washington are paraded into court, showing what a horrible job Haden did of vetting Sark, it will only get more ugly for USC.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Mike Leach is an asshole who can coach.

Sark is a drunk asshole who can't coach. He may get a shot eventually as a coordinator at a bottom-rung school. Better chance he ends up selling insurance.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The key is what happened after the Salute to Troy event. I don't know if Sark signed anything, or if his denial of his problem is "proof" that he had a problem or what. I think Haden is done though.
    I do feel bad for Sark, it's not like he can go back like he's a big hero anywhere he's been, not USC, not UW, not BYU.
    Some pro team will hire him as a QB coach, perhaps as soon as next year. Hell, you see what some assistants have been accused of? Being drunk is nothing.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I actually could have seen him making a push for the BYU job with Mendenhall gone to UVa. Could have showed everyone he's plowed his way through the rehab car wash, pacified the LDS by telling them he's done with alcohol forever and is a changed man, rested and ready for another go-round in the head coach's chair.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

BYU would never hire someone who isn't LDS to be the head coach of the football team. Max Hall would get the call before Sark.

Draft saved Draft deleted