1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santonio Holmes traded to Jets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

More proof that Steelers fandom is (usually) milder at SportsJournalists.com: A friend just texted me and called this the worst personnel move in team history. ::)

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It certainly takes the guy who cut Johnny Unitas off the hot seat.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's up with these NFL jerks trying to steal the headlines by making Sunday night trades??

5. Trey Beamon

Ben: "So the lesson is, I can keep getting shitfaced and hook up with college chicks. Just don't tweet about it ... got it!"

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I can't believe the Redskins didn't pull the trigger on this.

It should be a giant red flag to the Jets that even the freaking Redskins weren't willing to part with a draft pick for this guy.

They'll trade/sign anybody who is a big name.

7. Trey Beamon

Take it with a heaping pile of salt, but PFT mentioned a rumor involving Leon Washington:

There are rumors flying in the wake of the trade that sent receiver Santonio Holmes from the Steelers to the Jets that the compensation package includes both a fifth-round draft pick and running back Leon Washington.

In order to be traded, Washington must first sign his restricted free agency tender offer. Given the apparent speed with which this deal transpired, it's unlikely that Washington inked the deal before the Steelers and the Jets worked out their trade.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/leon-washington-can-be-part-of-trade-package-only-after-signing-his-tender/

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Think of it this way: The Patriots shipped only a fourth-round pick to the Raiders for Moss.

Add to it that Holmes was entering the final year of his contract and faces a four-game suspension for violation of the NFL substance-abuse policy. Moss didn't come with that much baggage when he got traded the Patriots. His baggage at the time was simply playing for Al Davis' team. Given that, a fifth-round pick for 12 games of Holmes seems about right.

If Dez Bryant slips to the Steelers, I could see him in black and gold.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When it comes to Steelers taking the fifth, I figured for sure it would be Roethlisberger, not their GM.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Moss had been a disaster with the Raiders. Holmes, for all his bullshit, caught 79 passes for 1,248 yards this past season. The Steelers were looking bad. The panicked and the Jets took advantage of them. Simple as that.

I guess the people who said the Steelers don't operate differently when it comes to character were flat-out wrong. They proved it with this trade. That said, I think they are going to miss the playoffs again. The main reason they came close in 2009 was the passing game and they just traded away their best weapon for next-to nothing.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This strikes me as very similar to the Yankees of the 1950s, whose reaction to Mickey Mantle getting involved in a nightclub brawl was to trade Billy Martin.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Michael: That's a great take. Didn't that break Martin' heart?

Draft saved Draft deleted