1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santo strikes out again! (HOF veterans)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Joe Williams, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Gordon getting in. He was a nine-time All-Star, back when managers, not fans, chose the teams. So he was considered a big-time player in his era, which I always thought should over-ride most other HOF criteria.

But the thing is, Gordon has been dead since 1978, so there's no urgency to put him in the Hall of Fame. I really wish they would elect qualified guys when they were still alive to enjoy it, and I can't imagine anyone who would appreciate the honor more than Santo.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Both are nice sentiments, but neither are HoF qualifications. If he's qualified as a player, then he should be in. If he's not, then I'm sorry it means so much to him, but he shouldn't get extra consideration because of the diabetes or because he's dying.

That said, the Veterans Committee sucks. Always has, probably always will. They don't want to add members to their little fraternity.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know it's not a criteria. I do think Santo's qualified either way, though. He's going to get in eventually, I just hope it happens before he dies (even without the diabetes, he's 68 years old).

As for the members not wanting to add members to their fraternity, there's probably some truth to that. But I figure it's also difficult to get that many people to agree on anything.

4. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

No, they want to add people to their fraternity--but only if those people are totally unqualified, like Phil Rizzuto or Tinker and Evers and Chance or Waite Hoyt, because it makes those already in the Hall look a helluva lot better.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sandberg didn't have a HOF career, either, and he's in.

*ducking to avoid the tomatoes, shoes, tables, bricks, refrigerators, cars, trucks, buses, houses and poodles that Cadet throws my way* :D

6. BYH is Joe Morgan?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Does the "before-after" year benchmark shift forward on an annual basis?

What I mean is, next year, will it be post-1943, pre-1944? Because Gil Hodges needs to be in the Hall just as much as does Santo, if not more, and his first season was 1943. If the shift happens, he'll probably make it in, finally.

As for Joe Gordon, I think he qualifies. Joe McCarthy was quoted as saying Gordon was "the greatest all-around ballplayer (he) ever saw."

8. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

If he had said that Sandberg didn't belong in "Coopertown" it woulda been a dead giveaway

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Carl Mays, meanwhile, is wondering who he has to kill to get into the HOF.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, I keep forgetting how much Sandberg's enshrinement annoys Morgan.

I have changed my mind. Not only does Sandberg belong, but they should rename the town RyneSandbergtown.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Joe Gordon sucks. ;D

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Chase Daniel swallows.

Draft saved Draft deleted