1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanity restored in Arlington...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Mar 19, 2007.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Hicks is jealous of the Cowboys and wants the Rangers to develop their own brand.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How many years did Ryan play with Texas? Four? He played a lot longer with both the Angels and Astros. I don't consider him a Ranger first.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Ballpark in Stripmallville, Texas.
    inside, you'll find:
    The Splendid Splinter Home Dugout (in honor of the Rangers' first manager)
    The Billy Martin Visitors Dugout (in honor of the former Texas skipper who managed on the other side for so many years)
    The Lenny Randle Outfield (in honor of the punk who went to run wind sprints in the outfield after sucker-punching manager Frank Luchessi)
    The Campy-to-Wills-to-Hargrove Infield
    Jim Sundberg home plate
    The Mickey Rivers Snack Bar (quick service)
    serving Tres Amigos tamales and Bert Blyleven windmill cookies
    The Al Oliver Plaza (perpetually underrated)
    The Mike Hargrove Human Rain Delay Lounge (for when those late summer thunderstorms blow through)
    in the ladies' rooms, complimentary Bobby Valentine Douches
    GW Bush toilet paper in all facilities
    Doc Medich Medical Clinic (for fans with heat stroke, alcohol poisoning)
    Dock Ellis Recreational Drug Lounge
    Sammy Sosa-for-Harold Baines Bad Trade Wailing Wall

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Don't forget to go down the right field line to get yourself some Johnny Grubb!

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Damn, that's a blast from the past! The Johnny Grubb Snack Bar serves brisket, mashed potatoes, okra...white people soul food.

For the record, Texas has three Hall-of-Famers...strangely, all pitchers:
    Fergie Jenkins, Gaylord Perry and Nolan Ryan.

Yeah, the Ryan-as-Ranger thing was always overplayed. Much more of an Angel or Astro. But Ryan's wearing his Ranger lid on his HOF plaque. Perry's wearing his Giants cap on his plaque. Jenkins is depicted wearing his Cubs cap.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

hey, i'm not suggesting they name the ballpark after nolan ryan. i'm just saying if you actually called the hall of fame, surely someone there would've told you about this nolan ryan guy. ;) ;D

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Let's review Tom Hicks' glorious career:

1. Gave a failed oil man a lifeline by including him as part of the Rangers ownership group, thus setting the wheels in motion for a disastrous presidency.
    2. Gave Alex Rodriguez the most asinine contract in baseball history.
    3. Gave Bill Guerin arguably the most asinine contract in hockey history.

Forgive me if I'm loath to give him credit for this PR stunt.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bubbler,

FYI, I think Juan Nieves is pitching coach at Triple-A Charlotte (White Sox). I remember writing stories about him when he was a free agent coming out of Avon Old Farms, a prep school in Connecticut, back in the mid-'80s. Dick Moss was his agent. I recall Birdie Tebbetts was among the many scouts watching him pitch on one of the days I went out to see him.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Lone Ranger Stadium

or

Walker Texas Ranger Stadium

Only two rangers anybody remembers ...

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Rangers' original home field was known as Arlington Stadium, and everyone called it that.

People called the new one The Ballpark after the change, but that's not unique to Texas. People in SF called their stadium Candlestick for years after its name was changed, and didn't several media outlets call Denver's football stadium the new Mile High instead of Invesco whatever?

No matter how accepting or unaccepting (is that a word?) the public is, Jerry Jones is going to sell the rights to the new Cowboys stadium currently under construction. There's a provision for revenue from naming rights sales built into Jones' contract with the city of Arlington.

And who wants to bet me that as soon as Hicks gets a decent offer he sells the naming rights to the Ballpark again?

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Lone Star Beer Stadium.

Or,

How about RangerAid Stadium? Oh wait, that local drink not go over too well. Me remembers Wayne Terwilliger spitting it out after being offered some. Shit tasted like watered down fruit punch Gatorade. Kind of like the Rangers...a watered down version of a major league team.

Draft saved Draft deleted