1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanity restored in Arlington...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd like to call a ballpark the Coffey Grounds.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ameriquest is struggling, so the cash probably did them some good.
    But the bigger issue is that most Rangers fans have never accepted Ameriquest Field. It will always be the Ballpark in Arlington. The old one was Rangers Stadium, the new one the Ballpark in Arlington.
    Even though it's been three years most people still refer to it as the Ballpark in Arlington, and several of the top radio personalities has refused to acknowldege it as Ameriquest.
    Had it been Amirequest from the day it opened that may be different.
    But Dallas area people, and to a large extent Texas as a whole, hates to see the new sponsorships of arenas. Even before Jerry Jones had a chance to try changing the name, there was a lot of concern when he got Nike to be the Stadium sponsor at Texas Stadium.

It had always been an area proud of its three main sports venues: Texas Stadium, The Ballpark at Arlington and Reuinion Arena remaining unbought by corporations when the pro sports world around it was changing.

American Airlines Center was accepted though, maily because Reunion is old and crappy. But Dallas woulda been happier with a name like Starplex.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think they should name it after a legendary Ranger.

Well shit.

After thinking about it, Googling it, leafing through all my baseball history books, and calling the Hall of Fame, I have surmised that there are NO legendary Rangers.

Buddy Bell Stadium anyone? Gary Ward Field? The Ballpark at Pat Putnam?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Toby Harrah Hall of Fame.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

You meant Arlington Stadium? And before that, Turnpike Stadium (minor league days)?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, Rusty Greer deserves some love.

7. Can I buy a luxury box, please?
    Thank you. You're all too kind.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you called the hall of fame? they never heard of nolan ryan?

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I hope that the Rangers are setting a trend here with the change, but I suspect not. I hate the corporate names to begin with, but when the corporate name on a sports facility becomes a rotating name it gets a little ridiculous.

It's amazing and nice that none of the New York area facilities have corporate names, although I think that's going to change with the Devils new arena next season (I believe it's going to be the Prudential Center.)

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You mean like Continental Airlines Arena?

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The Mets have already sold the rights to their new stadium.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. That one. Forgot that one out of respect for Brendan Byrne. But at least you can simply call it the Meadowlands.

Draft saved Draft deleted