1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanity restored in Arlington...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Mar 19, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Dallas Morning News reporting Ameriquest Field will now be called Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, after Tom Hicks buys back naming rights.

Proof that the grass isn't always greener when you name a stadium.

Good job, Tom. Now if you could just sign Teixeira...

2. I thought this thread was going to be about Gannett (HQ'd in Arlington, Va.) but stupid me, I should have realized Gannett won't stop the insanity anytime soon.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Gannett is in Tyson's Corner.

4. Technically, it's in McLean (about 7 miles from Arlington), since we're splittin' hairs.

http://www.gannett.com/map/history.htm

When I worked for them, the bosses always referred to HQ as Arlington. But in reality, it's all one big traffic-congested suburb so it doesn't really matter.

Added: It's kind of like saying you live in OK City when you really live in Norman.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well Tyson's doesn't really have its own address technically, but since it's at the Tyson's exit off the beltway, and essentially across the street from Tyson's Corner mall, everyone around here just calls it Tyson's. It's not in Arlington County, or near Arlington, or anything like that. And the traffic blows, now get out of my way.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I remember the old Twin Towers in Rosslyn. The bar downstairs from USAT was, um, convenient.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

An interesting development, since many locals have always referred to the Rangers' home park as "Rangers Stadium"...going back to the old Arlington Stadium days and continuing through the various manifestations of the "New Rangers Stadium."

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't care enough to find the article on line but why would he buy it back? doesn't ameriquest pay him to have its name on there?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, with the hammer about to come down on the subprime lending market, Hicks perhaps didn't want his team emmeshed in that. Or maybe he wanted to build some goodwill be going retro.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

I'd say leave the damn stadium names alone. Fickle corporate world changes its own identities more than Hollywood elitists change love partners...

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Lindsay Lohan Stadium.

I like it.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Now with Rehab Wednesday's!

Draft saved Draft deleted