1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court *UPDATE -- Guilty on 45 of 48 counts*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 4, 2012.

1. I am surprised by the judge's ruling ... I also think he made the right call.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/04/justice/pennsylvania-sandusky-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Sandusky victims to be ID'd in court

My guess is that news organizations will obey this and bottom-feeders like TMZ and Deadspin will milk the names for every last click they're worth.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Another link...

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/alleged_jerry_sandusky_victims.html

4. 93Devil

If you print their names, it does not have any merit to the story, correct? You would just be printingtheir names to out them, correct?

Since they are not public figures, could, and I am just spitballing this, a defamation of character suit be filed against the reporting agencies?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It wouldn't be defamation of charecter unless outlets labeled them as liars.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it's in court, it's public record. The organizations are just reporting it.

And even so, it's not defaming them. The victims are making an accusation. The news organizations are reporting it.

When news organizations don't report on a rape victim's name, they're doing that voluntarily. They don't have to do it.

7. 93Devil

I'm just trying to think of a way that these people could be protected. Maybe only releasing the names if Sandusky is found innocent?

This just seems so wrong, and I am trying to think of a way to make it more proper.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There isn't.

No matter how much of a scumbag Sandusky allegedly appears to be, he's still entitled to a fair trial with the chance to confront his accusers in a court of law.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Legally, a news outlet is not breaking the law by releasing the names of alleged victims in any criminal matter so it's not "wrong" to do so.

Ethically, it's an entirely different discussion.

10. 93Devil

Then change the law.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The 'law' is the 6th Amendment. Right to a timely public trial and to face your accusers, etc.

Not always easy to know what to do.

12. 93Devil

In this day and age, I don't think that works in all legal matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted