1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sandusky Sentenced

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah. For what he did, there should be some punishing work involved. A lot of punishing work.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Also, Sandusky is a heinous monster, but as usual, the general "I don't give a f**k" attitude that many have regarding prison rape is disturbing. The law doesn't allow us to pick and choose who we'd like to be raped. Rape is rape.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sure, but pardon me :)D) if I don't worry about whether he ever has a bad day in prison.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Meh, it doesn't matter what any of us think. He got what he got, and he'll get what he gets.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

DD,

I would submit that 30 years (at anything) is a pretty damn long time. What on earth would someone do if they ever did get out after that period of time. You're institutionalized by then.

Maybe someone with a better knowledge of Pennsylvania law can tell, is it indeterminate sentencing? Where a court sets a floor and a ceiling and then a parole board picks in between based on various factors?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Regarding the sentence: A sentence of hundreds of years can be used by Sandusky's lawyers as an argument for radical sentence reduction that if done before the right judge could get Sandusky fewer years than what he actually got. If your main goal in sentencing is to best make sure Sandusky doesn't die a free man, then what he got, tactically-wise, is the prudent sentence. You don't want to give skilled lawyers "cruel and unusual" as a tool at their disposal.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's a good point. If there was a perception that the judge's sentence was in any way vindictive, it might give some ammunition to Sandusky's appellate lawyers.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They've already got enough with the court's refusal to give him more time to prepare for the original trial.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This article provides a good summary of the applicable sentencing guidelines

http://abcnews.go.com/US/t/story/potential-penalties-sandusky-faces-sentencing-17429440

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I think the hard part of all this for me is his total lack of acceptance of guilt. At 98 or 128 or whatever he lives to be -- and it seems sometimes that the true A-holes live forever -- he is, as Wexler said, someone who blames his victims (so, too, seems to be his wife, in my opinion, though in truth I have no idea how much she really knows).

I hope during his remaining years/decades in a solitary cell that he comes face to face with truth.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

So, night before the sentencing, and one of Sandusky's lawyers, Karl Rominger, was out on the town drinking and chasing tail, seriously:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/10/jerry-sanduskys-lawyer-has-a-late-night-heart-to-heart-with-several-penn-state-students-over-beer-and-taco-bell/#more-199046

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The human mind has an amazing ability to rationalize and shift responsibility and basically do everything it can to remain sane --- because "coming face to face with the truth" would typically push people into a mental abyss. The brain will do everything it can to avoid that.

That's not Sandusky's failing, specifically. All humans do it. Most just don't have quite as much horror to rationalize and blame to shift as he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted