1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sand, tumbleweeds and sports in Bishop, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Mar 20, 2008.

1. From JJobs. I used to cover preps in the Antelope Valley up by Edwards Air Force Base and teams from Bishop would come chugging over in their buses after rides that seemingly went on for hours. I would have to imagine if you take this job, you'll have an appreciation for how the Jawas lived on Tattooine (sp?), but correct me if I'm wrong.

Company: Inyo Register
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 24, 2008
    Job ID: 897342

Description:
    Sports Reporter

The Inyo Register, a 3-times a week newspaper covering the Eastern Sierra and the Owens River Valley, is accepting applications for a general assignment reporter covering high school sports and outdoor recreation.

The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent reporting and writing skills, the ability to take photos, a passion for sports and the outdoors, and the flexibility to work on a variety of news assignments.

This is a wonderful opportunity to live, work and play in unspoiled beauty, clean air and pristine water.

This full-time position pays above industry standards based on experience. Benefits include paid vacation, health/dental insurance, long term disability and life insurance and a 401(k) program.

To apply, send writing samples and a letter explaining your interest to the Publisher, 450 E. Line St., Bishop, CA 93514 or e-mail to dbalcom@inyoregister.com.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I will correct you -- partially.

You apparently didn't get out of the AV to cover stuff north of Mojave, because if you had, you'd realize that Bishop isn't as much desert and sand as it is hills, partial-forest and valley.

Yes, the Bishop teams had one hell of a schlep to the AV, where -- because of their school size (it is roughly twice the size of most of the other teams in the league) -- they'd usually pound the crap out of the AV teams in football and be ubercompetitive in virtually everything else.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Bishop actually isn't too bad, though it is quite remote. And you can be in Tahoe in about four hours ... and 15 minutes.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bishop is pretty sweet actually, Lone Pine is nearby, the Sierras are right freaking there, Vegas isn't too far away either.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not just Chamber-speak: Great hiking, biking and fishing in the area. Two of the 14ers I climbed are within an hour of Bishop. Reno-Tahoe is an easy drive too. The job? Preps seem to do well in their classifications. Outdoors, of course. The pay won't be much, but for California the cost of living won't be that much either.

Draft saved Draft deleted